Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IMPORT RIP OFF

flatfootsam

I wanted a pair of WO guide rings and were £89 from FLO and £47 from WO on their flea bay site. Normally I wouldnt be bothered about a few quid and would rather support our sponser, but a saving of nearly half was too tempting.

Arrived today invoice.

Rings £47.53

Customs VAT £10.86 (23% ?? No import/excise duty)

Parcelforce Clearance Fee £13.50

Total £71. 89

No doubt there would have been discount from FLO bringing me back to the few quid I normally wouldnt be bothered about and having to wait 2 weeks just to rub my nose in it;

Never again, apologies Steve !!!

Adrian

I've fallen for the import nonsense before. Only did it once, for a Stellarvue diagonal. My total grand saving over the UK price after paying all the fees was £2. And i had equally long wait to get it.

I guess at the moment because the exchange rate is poor then the savings are not that great once you have taken customs / vat etc into consideration. If the £ gets nearer to $2 then it may be another matter.

Saying that though it still makes sense to buy from the Uk suppliers as they can give invaluable support and advise if you have any warrenty issues.

As a side note at work last week somebody had a £83 customs charge for a pair of UGG boots !!! :icon_eek:

You can make it work for you if your aware of how the system works, but I've never managed to make a saving of more than £5 on anything.

And its always difficult dealing with folks like dhl/fedex etc as they charge you for not only handling the customs paperwork but for storing your package too

So much for free trade the politicians are bleating on about. Doesnt exist. I run a shop and finding the US is one of the worst for putting the prices up regardless of currency fluctuations. Wholesalers here have been using currency as an excuse for longer than it has been one. Funny that the price inceases happened when VAT was reduced last year so the retailer got the blame. No doubt when the VAT goes back up in January we will be the rip off retailer once again as suppliers will use currency as the excuse to put up prices again. Is there no end? perhaps when no-one has any money left. Its a crying shame that our manufacturing industry has all but gone as we are now at the mercy of the foreign factories, importers and "exchange rate". Oh, and customs of course.

Whinge over for now!

I bet you had to collect from PF too, I know I did, they said for "another £16" or so they'd deliver it ! :icon_eek:

Handling fee my a%$e !! Extortion's what it is !!

They offered me next day for £12.00, or the following day for nowt. I chose nowt. Enough I say !!!!!!!!!!

So much for free trade the politicians are bleating on about. Doesnt exist. I run a shop and finding the US is one of the worst for putting the prices up regardless of currency fluctuations. Wholesalers here have been using currency as an excuse for longer than it has been one. Funny that the price inceases happened when VAT was reduced last year so the retailer got the blame. No doubt when the VAT goes back up in January we will be the rip off retailer once again as suppliers will use currency as the excuse to put up prices again. Is there no end? perhaps when no-one has any money left. Its a crying shame that our manufacturing industry has all but gone as we are now at the mercy of the foreign factories, importers and "exchange rate". Oh, and customs of course.

Whinge over for now!

I feel your pain !

Archived