NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB's on a PC

Most laptops seem to have 3 off USB ports.

If I want to image with guiding I use; imaging camera(USB #1), guide camera(USB #2), USB-232 to let PHD guide the mount(USB #3).

So that is all the USB's used.

What happens if I buy a cheap single to dual USB 'brick'.

Can I plug the 2 cameras into it. Could I plug a camera and the USB-232 for the mount into it?

I'm interested if anyone has tried this before I do as I'm not convinced it might not burn something out!!

I'm just trying to reduce my rats nest on the floor of cables.

You will have problems at some point unless you expand using a powered USB hub. A single USB hub can only provide 500mA, so plitting that ppwer may cause problems with the kit plugged in, or the PC may shut the port down if it feels that there is too much power being drawn from it.

I use a 7 port power USB 2.0 hub at the telescope. Powered from a 12V to 5V car transformer ( Maplin #A92JH- rated for 3.2A ) I connect the guide camera (QHY5), the imaging camera ( DSI II) the focus motor (FCUSB) the EQDIR module, Canon 300D etc etc etc.

Works 100%

You only have to note the port you use for each camera/ adaptor and use it all the time; if you don't, you get asked to re-install etc PITA.

I use a 7 port power USB 2.0 hub at the telescope. Powered from a 12V to 5V car transformer ( Maplin #A92JH- rated for 3.2A ) I connect the guide camera (QHY5), the imaging camera ( DSI II) the focus motor (FCUSB) the EQDIR module, Canon 300D etc etc etc.

Works 100%

You only have to note the port you use for each camera/ adaptor and use it all the time; if you don't, you get asked to re-install etc PITA.

Merlin do you not have any probs when you've hooked up the 300D, I ask cos I was under the impression that the hub and it's lead to the PC/lappy would revert to USB 1, when a USB 1 is used on a USB 2 port it 'll run at the slower data transfer rate for all ??

Interesting, I just fished out an old powered 4 port hub.

The wall cube said output 6Vdc 2.1A, makes sense, 500mA per plus some to spare. So I tried it but using the bench power supply so I could read the current draw.

Nothing plugged in, 40mA, makes sense as the hub has got 4 LED's lit up like a Christmas tree.

Connected the DSI II and expected to see current ramp up, nothing, still 40mA!

Plugged in the USB-232, again no extra current draw but the DSI now complained that I should connect to a faster USB 2 port or disconnect all other USB 1 devices!

Merlin do you not have any probs when you've hooked up the 300D, I ask cos I was under the impression that the hub and it's lead to the PC/lappy would revert to USB 1, when a USB 1 is used on a USB 2 port it 'll run at the slower data transfer rate for all ??

I have the QHY5 (USB1) and the Canon 1000D (USB 2) connected to a USB2 hub and both work at there designed speeds.

Yep, couldn't resist opening the case up to find Atmel AT43301 low cost USB hub controller inside.

Datasheet says;

Full Compliance with USB Spec Rev 1.1

Four Downstream Ports

Full-speed and Low-speed Data Transfers

Bus-powered Controller

Bus-powered or Self-powered Hub Operation

Seems to answer the speed question but implies it should operate self powered.

I'm taking that to mean that if it's supply is plugged in it will take over supplying the cameras, etc from the single PC port.

Am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted.

7 port USB2 hub from Maplin, powered via car cigarette lighter 12V to 5V @ 2.5A from the same, plugged into the 40Ah Halfords emergency jump start battery. All at the mount.

One 10m powered USB2 repeater back to the PC in the house.

DSI, SPC900NC and RS232 dongle all found and all running at their max speed.

Thanks for the pointer Merlin66.

It's good to be in the warm whilst imaging!

Archived