Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 4SE for astrophotography?

Anyone used this scope for astrophotos? I've got a DSLR Canon 15mp I want to use. It's been 10 years since I last tried this with an old film camera and a meade schmidt cassegrain (sold when i lost a job in 2000). I want to get a low price scope and was looking at ioptrons but am leary of them being cheaply made and getting bad reviews.

I have the Celestron 4 SE xlt coated optics, it's a great little scope. I have done a bit of photography with it. The main issue I found was the weight of the DSLR hanging off the back means you need to adjust the backlash settings carefully. I also tightened up the altitude drive cog as I found it was too loose meaning the weight of the camera made the OTA very rear heavy, I also slid the tube as far forward in the fork arm as possible. Once those issues were overcome it proved a fairly good little scope for the planets and lunar.

I had the Nexstar 4 in 2005. Bought it to compliment my main scope. The idea was to use the NS4 while the main rig was imaging. It was a great performer on lunar and planets. Worked great with the webcam for some lunar imaging. But perhaps not a scope i would choose to use with a DSLR, i was never tempted to try myself.

Have you thought about the Skywatcher Explorer 150P on the EQ3 Pro? It costs less than the NS4 SE, the scope itself is much much better suited to being used with a DSLR and can also be pressed into use for planetary imaging too. It's fitted with a 2" Crayford, so no vignetting with the DSLR. And it's a nice fast scope at f5.

The 150P is a great tool for visuals too, should prove a much better all rounder than the NS4.

The EQ3 Pro has Synscan fitted and the motors are very good quality. The mount itself can handle the 150P without flinching and should be good for some unguided imaging with the DSLR.

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=150eq32

Russ

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking i had to use a refractor or a cassegrain for astrohpotography. Reflectors can be used? That would be great as they have a better f number,and i would think the weight of the DSLR would be better distributed on them.

I was looking at refractors from ioptron as they have GPS trackers on them for around $350 US. But I am not sure oftheir quality and cannot find any sort of user reviews on them.

Well after more research i have found several good examples of long exposure deep sky with 80mm refractors like the ioptron and the orion shorttube 80. I might try the ioptron, its got a wedge mount,gps enabled tracking. WIth my DSLR and stacking software,I might be in business cheaply,in a year or two i cn upgrade to a more expensive model,but this will get me outside now.

80mm Refractor is normal way to start off with the astro imaging. Short focal length means they are a bit more forgiving on tracking errors. I started off with the Celestron WA 80 which is the same as the Orion. It was a good way to start with the 300D back in 2003. The blue halos around stars was a bit annoying but those can be processed out to a certain extent.

You can certainly use a reflector for imaging. They are quite the rage at the moment. Most companies have caught onto this now and offer a fast newt for imaging. The 150P is a very cheap way of getting a fast scope with plenty of aperture.

Seen some good reviews for the iOptron mounts. Just had a look on their website, i see you get one with a simple EQ wedge.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

Yeah it's such a tough choice. I don't think the reflectors come with tracking though,they just come with goto's. If i get a tracker,I am now up to the over $500 range where I really can't go now. That ioptron has a GPS enabled tracker and its $369 or around $450 depending on the model i go with.

Ah, i didn't realise you were in the US. Here in the UK we can buy the Skywatcher 150P on the EQ3 Pro Synscan for £510. That will track, accept an autoguider and also accept a GPS unit. It will do everything the EQ6 Pro can do except take a heavy load.

But i just checked the Skywatcher USA website and there's no sign of the EQ3 Pro or even the 150P tube for that matter. Looks the cheapest option is the 200P reflector on the EQ5 Pro for $795. Looks like i misled you :icon_eek:

If you want to image DSOs (i.e. anything but the planets, moon), you need a German Equatorial Mount not an alt/az mount. This is because you get field rotation which will limit your exposure with an alt/az that you don't get with a GEM.

You don't need a goto 'scope, just one that will drive the right ascension (or RA) axis. Personally, I'd suggest a skywatcher or celestron - not sure of the best buys in the US (I assume you are in the US) around the price point you have...

Have you had a look on Astromart to see what secondhand setups are available in the US? With a small budget your choices are going to be limited buying new. As Arad said, just an RA driven CG4, CG5 or Orion Skyview Pro would do the job. Just looking in Astromart you may find a CG4 with drive for $200. Leaving $150 for a scope.

Wow both of those reflectors are pretty nice. Now i need to decide between celestron and the zhumell. Does one or the other have better optics? Will i have issues with the weight of the DSLR on them? It's a relief that i can use a reflector for pictures, the last time i tried to do this back in the 90's, it was really out of hte question.

Archived