Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modest M42

Yoddha

Here is an acceptable (for me :D and for now) attempt to image M42 through my new setup WO ZS 110 triplet + LXD-75 + Canon 1000D(unmoded) unguided. I was too impatient to see something, so on next clear evening (after my balcony Double Cluster test) I threw everything in the car and went to relatively dark site. Here is a soup of 15, 20, 30 and 40s sub-frames with sum of 9:40 mins + 13x30s darks. Stacked in DSS + Minor Noel's actions play + Levels in PS.

Definitely I'm in the begging of a long route - needs better framing, auto-guiding, faaar better processing. But learning is a great part of the joy from this hobby :headbang:

Here it is :

post-15835-133877410651_thumb.jpg

Nice one Ivo. Everytime I see an image of M42 like this, it brings back to memory my first time capturing it through a telescope for myself. It was such a rush, so exciting.

You have all the makings to ensure some great images, we'll be looking forward to seeing them too :headbang:

Thanks for posting this one.

TJ

• 3 weeks later...

"clipping the black point" means that the background is so black that the very faint stuff is getting "clipped" and also turns black, at which point it will never come back. This happens when you use the levels slider to make the background darker, but go just a bit too far.

There is a fair amount of whispy stuff in the background of that image... its there, it just needs a few curves and levels runs to bring out the faint stuff.

Here is other version... I'm not sure that made it by the best way. Definitely have to read more :icon_eek:

I raised the Levels then started to tune Curves and from time to time to lower the Levels a bit and again Curves trying to keep the details... There are more faint details but have to take care for the core :hello2:

post-15835-133877413718_thumb.jpg

Thats much better... heading in the right direction! Look how much more Running Man is showing, and the dimmer stuff in M42.

29950d1260185628t-modest-m42-m42_sigma_curves_23_1024.jpg29952d1260195568t-modest-m42-m42_curves_more_2_r.jpg

The GhostNebula comes out nice on this picture!

Is it possible to combine these two pictures? And dim the brihgtness of M42 a little and keep the details in the Ghost-nebula?

Archived