Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro alignment fails : I must be doing something wrong...but I can't think what

I run Ver 3.25 and can still have the same issue, it appears to happen when you just stop (power down) the mount in any position then restart (power back up) and then try to do your alignment, if you PARK before you power down the mount it will be OK when you restart.

If the mount knows it is starting from the PARK position it is always pretty close on the first star, only needs a small nudge with the hand controller - all I can say is that it works 100% of the time for my mount but different versions of mount hardware and software may behave differently as Ken says.

Brendan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I looks as if I might have a resolution to this problem. I've just run a check on the mount with the updated hand-box. As has been suggested, I guestimated the accuracy of the mount's positioning based on where the alignment stars were shown in Stellarium and it was far closer than it has been to date. As a double check, I got the mount to GoTo Jupiter after it had completed the 3-star alignmetn routine and it was very close (I couldn't confirm it 100% as the dome was closed and the mount was without the OTA) This evening looks promising, so with luck, I might be able to confirm my findings and close this issue off. cheers Paul

Just posting an update to say that my HEQ5 is now behaving as published!

I can't imagine it was the old version of the SynScan software that was at fault, but not that the handbox has been upgraded to the latest version all seems well. I can only assume that the original software on it had somehow become corrupt.

Anyway. Thanks all for your suggestions and assistance.

cheers

Paul

Don't know if its of any help/ interest, but I found the Instruction Manual for the V3 Synscan was incorrect. You DON'T connect to PCDirect setting when just using the mount connected through the handcontroller to your planetarium package. Just plug it in, after initialising, off you go. ( This is an alternative to EQMOD/EQDIR - I needed it for AstroPlanner)

Interesting, so with the handbox will it read out RA/DEC positions etc, and keep "track" of where the PC is sending it? (almost like the best of both worlds...)...I suspect you cannot do slews from the HBX though or nudges whilst under PC control? (if you can...no need for gamepad etc with EQMOD)

Nick,

Good question...

I don't know (yet)!

I'll reconnect the set up later and give it a go.

The main thing for me was to use the extensive catalogue database of AstroPlanner and make up an evening's observation requirements.

There's a AP plugin "DSLR Shoot" which can also control the camera.

So you can have full GOTO, take an exposure ( or a sequence of exposures) then move onto the next object...repeat as necessary!

All from the comfort of a warm study.

Already doing that with CDC, motor focus unit, motorised wheels, two netbooks, ethernet router and third netbook from the house.. (RDP) :-). Atik 314L/PHD/DSI-C

works (in testing) very well...just got to buy the focus control USB unit, but hanging on for a possible new entry on that front

Just got to get the cloud/rain sensor unit and wire that up to a motorised roof control...and get somthing that can plate solve FITS images automatically without costing an arm and a leg (to nudge the mount)

Sorry Ken, it was...i was just asking about using the HC at the same time to nudge the mount and if this was updated on the app/mount in parallel. hence no need to use the paddle/keypad..

If it is (not tried it) then superb.. and thanks for bringing it up. PC direct mode, obviously negates any display on the HBX, so that would not have been as useful (setting slew rates etc etc)

SS FCUSB is the one I was about to order, but I hear another is coming soon.

nice...

that's me not using the EQDIR then!

Hi Nick

Depends if you want a robust solution or not. Personally I find it rather worrying that the handcontroller is apparently so active in this mode.

EQMOD is designed based upon the assumption that is has a direct, uninterrupted connection to the mount and that it has sole control. If you go changing things using the handcontroller don't be surprised if EQMOD control is compromised.

My understanding of the Synta protocol is that it is very basic - no checksums for error detection or correction. It is strictly master slave in nature, has no routing level and really isn't designed to operate in an environment where two masters are present.

For PC Direct to work I assume it must therefore be carefully multiplxing and buferring messages. Unfortunately we have no inside of how this is done, or more importantly, what are the limitations of its use. Certainly it would seem that V3.25 firmware represents an improvement over earlier efforts but I still wouldn't recommend unattended operation via PC-Direct. Perhaps I "know a little too much" but I much prefer the peace of mind of knowing the handcontroller is out of the loop.

Chris.

Archived