NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windows 7 compatability.

Doc

Does anyone know if Cartes du Ceil and Stellarium work OK with Windows 7.

Thinking about a Netbook for Xmas as they have a 9 hour battery life according to the specs.

It's working fine on my laptop running windows 7. In fact, they perform much better then they did in vista. As on the specs, I doubt you'll get the 9 hours when using stellarium since it demands a lot of processing from the graphics card. You should ask someone you know with a notebook to install stellarium and check how it behaves on a lower quality graphics card.

Notebooks are great but they serve a specific target witch is: Small, portable and autonomous device to access internet and office tools. They are not so suitable for programs that demand a decent graphics performance since they use processors with less performance in a trade off to get more autonomy and portability.

the thing with small netbooks is that they don`t have a cd rom or dvd drive which is a shame, so can be difficult to load software from a disc, also as Steve says the ones i`ve seen run xp but most other software that runs on vista should work with windows 7 software, but one word of caution, Celestron nexstar software will only work with 32 bit machines and not the newer 64 bit ones

the thing with small netbooks is that they don`t have a cd rom or dvd drive which is a shame, so can be difficult to load software from a disc, also as Steve says the ones i`ve seen run xp but most other software that runs on vista should work with windows 7 software, but one word of caution, Celestron nexstar software will only work with 32 bit machines and not the newer 64 bit ones

Just install a dvd rom emulator, such as daemon tools. Then you use a cd recording program on your home/office computer, can be a free one such as img burn.

1) use img burn to copy the cd on to an ISO file.

2) copy the iso to a usb pen.

3) mount the iso on to the virtual dvd/cd drive with daemon tools on the notebook.

4) go to my computer and double click the dvd/cd virtual drive and use it just like you would use a physical regular cd.

PS-> I hate having loads of cds. Even at my company all purchased cds are stored and locked away. As soon as one arrives we create an ISO of it and have all our software in external USB HD drives. Then daemon tools is used to mount the ISO and perform installations. You can do this with any cd except for the OS install ones since they need to be bootable.

It's this one here.

Technical Details

• Product Description: ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005HA - Atom N270 1.6 GHz - 10" TFT
  • Dimensions (WxDxH): 26.2 cm x 17.8 cm x 3.6 cm
  • Weight: 1.4 kg
  • System Type: Netbook
  • Built-in Devices: Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
  • Bundled Services: 10 GB Eee Storage
  • Processor: Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 GHz
  • RAM: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
  • Card Reader: Yes
  • Hard Drive: 250 GB
  • Display: 10" TFT 1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
  • Audio Output: Sound card
  • Networking: Network adapter - IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft)
  • Notebook Camera: Integrated - 0.3 Megapixel
  • Input Device: Keyboard, touchpad
  • Power: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
  • Run Time (Up To): 10.5 hour(s)
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Starter
  • Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year warranty

£274.

Click here: Asus 1005HA 10-inch Netbook: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I recently had to borrow my daughters Netbbook for a week or so while waiting for my new lappy. It was an XP machine but I couldn't use it to image with. K3 installed ok but whenever I started a capture (10fps) the Netbook would lock up after a few seconds and require a reboot. Can't remember the make or model offhand.

Nothing on the graphics card is listed witch means it's the lowest they could feat in, witch is normal for a netbook.

Price is normal to low so it's a good buy. I would strongly recommend you to have stellarium installed on a similar one and check how it performs. any brand will do for the test, as long as the processor is the standard Atom N270 and it haves 1GB ram.

I have the ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005HA, but it has XP on it and the graphics card is an Intel 945. I'll be installing Windows 7 tomorrow when i get home and i will install Cartes du Ceil and Stellarium on it and let you know how it fares!

I have the ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005HA, but it has XP on it and the graphics card is an Intel 945. I'll be installing Windows 7 tomorrow when i get home and i will install Cartes du Ceil and Stellarium on it and let you know how it fares!

Cheers thanks very mmuch.

Whats the battery life like, they say 10 hours.

It's pretty good, Doc. I haven't reached 10 hours yet! But i got 8.5 hours the other day when i was using internet, listening to music and using MS word.

There is a little icon on the bottom right corner, which allows you to select 1 of 4 power options quickly, they are Super performance, High performance and Power Saving mode, i got the 8.5 hours using Auto mode so i'm sure you could get 10 hours with power saving mode. You can also upgrade the ram easily, which i plan to do by swapping the 1gb stick for a 2gb stick.

Yeh, you'll definitely get that no problem. Another thing i was shocked with was how light it was and how quickly it boots to the OS.

I will send you a PM tomorrow evening to let you know how the programs run!

Thx :rolleyes:

Can a netbook run windows-7? Mine is running XP, it is okay but not particularly fast.

It can and they do it pretty well. Unless your's haves some years already.

Just keep it simple, don't load it with every single piece of software, install only what you really use.

Another thing to look out for is to use a less heavy anti virus and tweak it in a way you won't have all services available running. Example, if you don't use Peer2Peer applications on the netbook you can turn that option off. Avast is a free, decent AV that allows for such customizations.

It's also very important to deactivate stuff that loads at start up (usually icons near the clock) that you don't need. An example is the Adobe Reader fast loader and the Adobe download manager that can be deactivated using msconfig (go to startup>run type msconfig then enter). The fast loader allows for a faster opening of a pdf, but makes the startup slower and you may not even want to open a pdf every time you start your pc. Auto update softwares also make the pc slower at startup and as soon as they detect an internet connection, as they perform period "behind the scenes" checks to newer versions. Provided you don't mind doing updates manually when you think you need them, it's a good idea to turn this kinds of software down.

Thank-you pvaz :rolleyes:

It is a samsung nc20, I'll have a close look at what it is doing in the background.

I toke a look at the specs. It's pretty much up to date, except for the processor, witch is only 1.3Ghz intel equivalent(it runs at 800Mhz = 0.8Ghz on it's own but when compared to an Intel Atom you need to go with the equivalent value.) Current intel Atoms go for 1.6Ghz.

That said it will probably run Win 7 just fine. You may wan't to turn down window transparency option and some other visual stuff on win7, but processor speed is not that critical unless you try to play the latest games or run advanced image processing and math oriented software.

Does anyone know if Cartes du Ceil and Stellarium work OK with Windows 7.

Thinking about a Netbook for Xmas as they have a 9 hour battery life according to the specs.

I have just bought an Acer Aspire One 531H-0BB (£259.95 from John Lewis). It is running Windows 7, but I can't get Stellarium to run on it. I'm a Mac person and partly bought this to run the software for my Celestron NexImage - but now find that it doesn't run on this machine. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll post another thread to seek advice on this.

I have just bought an Acer Aspire One 531H-0BB (£259.95 from John Lewis). It is running Windows 7, but I can't get Stellarium to run on it. I'm a Mac person and partly bought this to run the software for my Celestron NexImage - but now find that it doesn't run on this machine. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll post another thread to seek advice on this.

It can be a lot of things but my guess would be Graphics Card Driver. Stellarium uses a graphics library, called OpenGL, to draw things. Microsoft doesn't produce that library so it's up to the graphics card manufacturer to provide it. They usually include it on the driver install package.

You should try this:

1st) go to Acer web site and download the latest graphics driver for your model. After install see if the problem is solved. If you can't find one specific to win7 use the vista one since they are usually compatible.

2nd) If 1st doesn't work. Uninstall stellarium. Download an older version such as 2.7 or 2.8 and install it.

If anyone is interested, Amazon sell a USB external slim CD rom drive for £9.79. I've bought one and it works fine with my Acer One netbook.

See USB External Slim CDROM Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

If anyone is interested, Amazon sell a USB external slim CD rom drive for £9.79. I've bought one and it works fine with my Acer One netbook.

See USB External Slim CDROM Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Nice, it's cheaper then the ones I can order at reseller price. Glad I don't depende on hardware sales to put bread on the table... :rolleyes:

But it's probably best to buy this one for 30 since lots of stuff come on DVD instead of CD.

Archived