Advice sought on observatory plans

michael8554

Please would you observatory builders advise me on ways to modify the shed in the attached image.

Sorry it's not a complete view, this was a snap taken when we were viewing the house , which we are now buying.

It's breezeblock with a corrugated asbestos concrete roof on wood rafters. South is to the left, the ridge lying roughly N-S. It's long enough for a warm room at the N end. My budget and building skills don't stretch to a dome I'm afraid.

I'm prepared to get rid of the asbestos concrete roof and lower the 6ft-plus walls at the south end.

cheers

Michael

post-14836-133877409989_thumb.jpg

Getting rid of that asbestos roof MUST be done by professionals - and will be extremely expensive!

You could get rid of the gable ends (if the remaining walls are tall enough) and fit a roll off roof.

I'm not at all sure where you would be with planning permission? It looks like a structure that may well NOT be a shed! - you will have to check carefully.

Planning permission is not an issue here as it is an existing structure. The asbestos roof can be removed by yourself but will need to be placed into a double bagging system, your local council can advise on the nearest disposal facility and their requirements. Always, always wear the correct type of full face/dust mask and disposable overalls.

In all reality the planning thing will probably not be an issue if you are not making anything bigger or creating an actual living space.

Also if you do it very quietly in the dead of night and claim an infringment of human rights if anyone asks then whats the problem?

I understand the need to do things properly, and obviously you should check, but I wouldn´t as I am too lazy I would just make the outward appearance exactly the same as it is now (and I am in no way suggesting this is the correct thing to do its just what I would do)

anyway...how about keeping the same roof design but making half of it roll off and therefore spliting the building into a warm room and observatory?

NC

They can if it fulfils the requirements under permitted development, this allows you to have additional extensions etc without permission provided they fit certain criteria. Your neighbours can add a porch without any permission if it is 3 square metres or less.

I worked as a Building Control Surveyor, checking buildings for compliance with Building Regulations.

You can remove the asbestos yourself.

Speak to the council and they will normally advise you what to do.

Normally you wet it down, put it it large bag and seal it (Something like duck tape is fine), then put that bag in another bag and seal that too. Then find your local tip that has the 'bin' you can put it in.

Thanks for the better advice folks - especially about asbestos. I was unsure myself and just wanted to let michael know that there were regulations about it (I thought they were rather more severe!). As for the planning thing? I would suggest at least asking the local planning office (by phone should be Ok) just to make sure.

Also if you do it very quietly in the dead of night and claim an infringment of human rights if anyone asks then whats the problem?

None at all - for the Council - ours in the last year has had two houses demolished for people who flouted the regs. They didnt think people would mind either :rolleyes:

I;d seriously check planning permission issues. Chances are there are no issues but if you have a letter in your mitts from the Council saying its ok its a much better position to be in in case of objections.

Asbestos - depends on what kind it is. Take a look at the HSE site which has tons of info on dealing with it. Regs are quite tight for employers but I think if its your own proprty and you doing the work its a kind of 'at your own risk' approach.

Hi there

I am just finishing a similar project to you. I have converted a 6 ft wide (on the inside) north south running shed in to an observatory.

I have a friend who is a planner and i found out that you can extend an out building by quite a bit - i forget how much. Unfortunately, i live in a conservation area, so i can only extend my shed by 10%.

So i have extended south in to my garden with a roll off roof. I had to use the space carefully but a managed to get a 9ft octagon with most of it rolling off for my main scope. Plus a 6 x 6ft warmroom and a tool shed.

I have just posted my pics in an album here

Astronomy Forums

Cheers Matt

post-13605-133877410057_thumb.jpg

post-13605-133877410066_thumb.jpg

Regs are quite tight for employers but I think if its your own proprty and you doing the work its a kind of 'at your own risk' approach.

The regs are tight for employers and for disposal, but if you do it yourself it is as Mel said.

I would only advise that it in incredibly nasty stuff and should be handled with extreme caution. It's not going to kill you...for 20 years or so, but when it does decide your card is marked it is a horrible way to go! I dealt with too many asbestosis claims in the past and then had to watch my poor old dad succumb to it.

Do risk it, it's just not worth it!

It is my understanding that white asbestos, as used in garage roofing sheets etc is not so much of a hazard as blue asbestos, of the type used in building and insulation, but that may well be unfounded.

(If you get the chance, have a look at asbestos as a mineral, in its raw state, its quite cool :rolleyes: )

Looks like a great project. Try to move fast, VAT is going back to 17.5% in January, so you can save at least that much if you can buy your materials sooner. Also, a lot of suppliers increase prices on 1st Jan too.

Good luck with it, should make a nice obs.

TJ

All types of asbestos are harmful. As the thing said its like the difference between getting hit by a car doing 50mph and one doing 100mph. The reality is you will be just as dead.

Cement asbestos which is what you have is one of the safer types but that 'safer' not 'safe'.

Make sure you have a a read of the HSE site and see whats involved. There are only 15 sites in the UK that will allow disposal of asbestos so it would be best to check on this beforehand.

Hi, as to removal of asbestos, you can remove it yourself. As previous advice wet it down and remove by not braking (this is when fibres are released) These sheets are asbestos cement and contain low amounts of asbestos. Personally I would remove and stack carefully, if you have room. If left alone they pose no danger. If you do have them removed from site you will need to contact your local county council as only a designated tip will accept them. Depending on local authority will depend how they operate and what procedure they have. Others are correct that this normally involves double bagging etc.

P.S I work in environmental health/health and safety for a local council and the above is the standard advice.:headbang:

Scott

Thankyou all for your advice about the roof.

It seems to boil down to the cancer risk.

I'm inclined to not take the risk and instead to buiild from scratch.

Luckily the garden is large and there is a suitable site.

Matt (Saturn) in the two piccies on your post it looks like your walls are quite low?

I like the design on page 3 of the Observatories section, the one where the roof rolls back over the lower warm .

His later mod to a turret is even better!

Thanks again

Michael

Archived