Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with a cable, please :)

So this is my first post here, so forgive me if this has already been asked, but I'm still finding my way around!

I have just bought a sky watcher ex130p skyscan AZ GOTO. I'd like to link it to my laptop (Acer Aspire One D250) but the lead that comes with the 'scope has a different connector. Is there a USB lead that I can get?

Thanks for any help :rolleyes:

tooth_dr is right: I've successfully used one of those leads to connect that same telescope to PC, Mac and Linux computers. On all systems, you do need to install the drivers for the lead. It was the only device for which I've had to install drivers on my Mac.

One thing to look out for: the serial lead has some sort of electronics inside it, which is why it needs a driver on your computer. The majority of these leads have the electronics provided by a company called Prolific. It's worth checking that the lead you buy has Prolific components as these are the most common and definitely work for the purposes you have in mind; there's no guarantee that other serial-to-USB adaptors would work for you as they're notoriously tricky things.

The cable that you have is an RS232 cable - I suspect that the PC end has 9 pins in two rows, 5 pins and 4 pins?

You will need to buy a USB to RS232 adapter but be careful, these are not all born equal - buy one from an astronomy store as they will sell types that are truly compatible with your mount.

What you need is a bi-directional serial to USB converter as you need to both send and receive signals for the connection to the mount work properly. Many of the converters on sale only work one way.

As mentioned in a previous post if you get one from an astronomy shop you should be OK. Otherwise a computer shop should be able to help, that is if they have someone who actually knows what it is that they're selling :rolleyes: and can check the technical specs of the converter.

John

I live in Germany (should have said that, really) but I managed to get one from Media Markt made by Belkin, a F5U103VEA USB - serial adapter. Of course, then I realised that the driver is on a disc and the Aspire doesn't have a disc drive (sighs..) but I think that I've got that sussed. Then I found out that the Stellarium program isn't compatable with the 'scope (deeper sigh..). So is there a freeware astronomy prgram that is compatable with the sky watcher ex130p skyscan AZ GOTO?

Hi tooth_dr - no, not at all! :rolleyes: It's just that being a novice, i don't see the problems (or the solutions, it seems!) even if they are written in front of me.

That's good to know Breakintheclouds (is that your red indian name?!? Dances with stars etc...). I'll have a look for the software.

Thanks for the pointers, all! Very much appreciated.

My new problem is with StellariumScope. When I open the program, I just get the drop down menu and a window full of text about "What you should know about StellariumScope" which I can't do anything with. Have you experienced this? I can't seem to access the rest.....

Archived