NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron NexStar 6 SE (XLT) or Advanced C6-SGT-XLT?

the Advanced C6-SGT-XLT would be best for imaging as it has an EQ mount,

but apart from that both are very good, scopes are indentical, i have the Nexstar 6 on a Celestron cg5 gt mount and when you`ve got the hang of them they goto very well but the mounts are fairly heavy

I have the Nextstar 8se, which is very portable when broken into its 3 main parts: scope, tripod and At/Az mount. I've found its goto accuracy very good. I've no experience of the C6-SGT, so I can't comment on that.

However, it really depends on what you want to do. If your're a visual person then either is probably OK, with the Alt/Az mount easier to set up. If you ever want to do serious (or even semi-serious) photography, then I would go for the equatorial mount.

For portability it's no contest, the 6SE is so much lighter and can be carried about fully set up and ready to go. As for GOTO accuracy I doubt that there is much difference between them.

The biggest advantage of the C6-SGT is when it comes to imaging as an ALT-Az mount like the SE can only do very short exposures whereas the SGT's EQ mount allows for some proper astrophotography.

So if visual observing is you main interest then the 6SE is a great choice but if you are contemplating any imaging then go for the SGT.

John

I have a CG5GT with a C6sct, I did have a Nexstar Altaz mount but sold it.

Why, the Nexstar mount was not getting used. The goto ability between the 2 mounts is very comparable, as is the tracking. The set up time for the CG5GT is quite a bit longer than the Nexstar, both from a build up and Alignment point of view, but I think it is worth the extra effort.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold the Nexstar as it was really good as a quick set up grab and go scope.

So, that really doesn't help you decide does it. Well, I would recomend you go for the CG5GT, it is great value for money. It doen't take that much longer to set up and it will also allow you to dabble in imaging should you decide that. It will carry a bigger scope than the Nexstar.

Go for it, you know you want to.........................

Gary

Have owned both the 6SE and a CG5-GT. For portability and ease of setup, the 6SE wins hands down. Also, the 3-star align on the SE is just so much easier than the polar align/2+calib star align on the CG5.

If you want anything to put a different 'scope on and dabble in DSO imaging, get the CG5. If you want a great grab and go, get the 6SE. Beware though, if you want to do serious DSO imaging, you will need a better mount than the CG5... (had one and sold it as it wasn't man enough for the job... you will need a HEQ5/EQ6 as a minimum).

Having said that, I'd take a 12" dob over either combo any day :rolleyes:

Archived