Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar telescope advice sought

Due to ongoing back problems, I'm forced to sell my 10" SCT soon and am thinking of spending a bit more time doing Solar imaging. As my funds are the main constraint, I would be grateful for any member's views on using a PST for imaging using a DSLR. I've not had a look throiugh one as yet, and there aren't many images online. The same applies to Lunt's LS35- it looks nice but will it produce reasonable images? I'm not expecting top line results and my budget won't extend to anything more upmarket, but I'd like to get an idea as to what is achievable.

The PST has problems with back focus distance. It's just possible to bring a webcam or DMK to focus.... the DSLR would never work without adding a transfer lens system.

Jan Timmermans has done some excellent work with his stock PST and has details of his camera set up on his webpage- worth a visit

THE FIRMAMENT - Solar System and Deep Sky webcam images

Hello Tony. I've had the success level that you say you aspire to by using a DSLR and PST combination. Because there is not enough back focus for direct imaging I attached my Canon 400D to a zoom eyepiece and used it afocally. BTW make sure you get a good PST if that's your model of choice, they do vary! Good luck. Peter.

Hello Tony. I've had the success level that you say you aspire to by using a DSLR and PST combination. Because there is not enough back focus for direct imaging I attached my Canon 400D to a zoom eyepiece and used it afocally. BTW make sure you get a good PST if that's your model of choice, they do vary! Good luck. Peter.

That's very interesting, Peter, and thanks. I used to be an engineer so adapting a camera is no problem. Now you've thrown in the proverbial cat! If the quality of PSTs vary, what are the things to look out for? I'd like to think I'm getting my full money's worth. I was considering getting a small APO as a second telescope anyway and wonder if it may be better to get it kitted up with its own filter. I live pretty far out from the nearest population centre and I doubt that I would be able to get to a shop easily to test out a telescope so I would be relying on reviews and user results for my eventual choice.

A PST which the original owner still has the receipts and paperwork is a good start. The original "gold" objective should be now have been repaired under the Coronado warrenty. The later ones have a "blue" objective. Look for an agreement with the seller ( who has the original paperwork - very important) to test and return if the etalon will not give good images or the penta prism causes astigmatism....

The other alternatives are almost double the cost plus.. ie a SM40 filter on an ED80 plus a BF10 filter...

Definitely a case of "buyer beware". It's something to think about though. I did find a good compartive review here- www.stephenramsden.com/.../LUNT%20LS35THa%20review.pdf

and my original plan was to have the APO and the h alpha scope together on an EQ5 mount. This goes back to a project I helped build for Mid-Kent AS some years back, where we had a 60mm refractor and a Daystar equipped TeleVue Genesis together on a fullerscopes Mk4 mount, two homemade video cameras and two enormous old TVs for simultaneous white light and h alpha viewing for public events. Worked a treat, but weighed a ton!

Archived