Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light! 24/10/09

wulfrunian

At last! :(

After cloudy nights for a week after the new dob arrived, last night looked like no exception. I'd been checking throughout the evening, then went out at 9pm, and there was just the hint of a break in the clouds. Stood out there for a quarter of an hour or so, by which time the clouds were scudding across the sky quickly, leaving an average of about half a clear sky. Jupiter was just visible over the fence. So, out went the scope for its first glimpse of the heavens. I thought, I'll just be able to grab half an hour, to at least check the thing's working!

I had to turn to Jupiter first, as it wouldn't be around for long before the houses swallowed it up. Not a great view at first, as haze had got in the way. Tried it with my 10mm plus Barlow, definitely wouldn't take this x240. Clouds blew past so I scanned a few random star fields to the north, then it cleared and I went back to Jupiter with the 25mm. Nice views now, two bands easily visible with three moons lined up as well. It might have been low and hazy, but a worthy first light for the scope!

Enough of the sky was visible now to try and have a play around and start learning to navigate with the dob accompanied by Norton. Pegasus was shining well, so I started just trying to line up the main stars of the square. Took a while but made it. Then navigated from the top left up to gamma Andromeda. Very nice :p what a lovely double star this is, and even better for having found it on my own!!

I wondered whether the clouds would let me alone long enough to find M31, so pored over Norton again, and tried to make sense of how the view in the finder corresponded to the star maps. Hopped around, and there it was, clearly visible in the finder. Couldn't see much in the way of features in the eyepiece, but it was there, and so spent some time with this, just wondering at the distances that light had travelled just for me! And I THINK I saw M32 too, as one of the "stars" at the top of the field was definitely fuzzy.

Saw from the star maps that the double cluster isn't far north of gamma Andromeda, but it was a bit cloudy up there. So, found the star, and in the absence of landmarks, aimed up and left vaguely the right amount, and in cloud breaks found a great star field in the eyepiece. Was it the double cluster? Maybe, maybe not, but it was pretty anyway!

Capella was just visible over the other fence now, so couldn't resist getting this dazzling in the eyepiece. Too low and too much cloud to look for the open clusters, but just scanned around Auriga a bit just to sightsee. The sky to the north was now clear, so I went to Polaris, and saw this nicely with its faint companion.

Looked around and spotted that the Pleides had now appeared, so turned back, never seen them so bright, that extra aperture does make a difference! Put in the 40mm to get a real eyeful :D

Cloud was getting worse now, and I had to get up this morning, so went back one last time to gamma Andromeda to finish. Wasn't sure whether the 40mm was splitting it (it only gives x30) or whether I was imagining it, so popped the 25mm back in for the final view of the night.

I'm not expert enough to propely review this scope, but for me, it's great!! :p Liked the Skywatcher eyepieces too - the 25mm is a nice wide field of view, though didn't compare it directly to my Meade 26mm. Probably won't use the 10mm much, as I have a 10mm TV radian.

Next on the shopping list is a height adjustable seat, otherwise I'm going to end up with back problems!

So - my planned half hour turned into a two hour session. Hard work naviagating without all the electronics, but so worthwhile, and I'm sure it'll come easier with practice. I enjoyed everything I'd found much more, as I'd had to make the effort!

And my quick write-up seems to have become a long rambling essay - apologies, well done if you made it this far! Looking forward to many happy session with this scope ;)

a very good report thanks for sharing, re the blinds on the windows, when i started observing in my backgarden many years ago my wife give me the nickname the warden, i oftern wondered why..... oy turn off those lights will ya.....hmmmm.

Thanks all - roll on those clear frosty winter nights!

I'm glad you mentioned Polaris' little companion star. I see it while polarizing at the beginning of every session.. so delicate and lovely.

I agree. I think it's quite sweet really, if you can say that of stars!

I'm glad you mentioned Polaris' little companion star. I see it while polarizing at the beginning of every session.. so delicate and lovely.

you have to feel sorry for the poor little thing, it's like julia roberts' charector next to catherine zeta jones' in america's sweethearts, the timid quiet one who's never noticed next to her famous sister

now you'll have top excuse me whilst i go for a cold shower, too much thinking about gazing at julia next to catherine ;)

Great report Wulfrunian. I had been looking forward to hearing how you found your big dob ever since you decided on it.

Were you looking for the Perseus double cluster through the EP? That part of the sky is right in the centre of the Milky Way with so many stars visible. I find it much easier to locate the double using the finder scope. Obviously only the brighter stars are visible, but the two clusters are also clearly visible through it. Much easier than pointing the scope at roughly the right area and then sweeping backwards and forwards.

Looking forward to your next report.

Great first light report - glad you are enjoying your Dob and finding your way around as a Human Goto...

I have to say this is sooo much easier to do without those pesky clouds covering up your guide stars. But you've got the bug for sure - welcome to the Dob club ;)

Steph

Were you looking for the Perseus double cluster through the EP? That part of the sky is right in the centre of the Milky Way with so many stars visible. I find it much easier to locate the double using the finder scope. Obviously only the brighter stars are visible, but the two clusters are also clearly visible through it. Much easier than pointing the scope at roughly the right area and then sweeping backwards and forwards.

Looking forward to your next report.

I was using the finder, yes. Not sure I could really see two distinct clusters through it though, so I might have been just seeing a rich star field.

Hopefully the next report won't be too long coming, but the weather forecast and the approach of Bonfire Night probably means the scope's staying in the garage for a bit! And if we've had clear skies this week then I haven't seen them as I've been down with the flu ;)

welcome to the Dob club :p

Steph

Thanks! Do I get any freebies as a new member? :(

Hope you are feeling better soon!

As for the dob club membership, I hope you read the small print - as a dob owner of 10" or more, you are legally bound to donate your scope to observers with 6" or less for 5 clear nights a year. I can help you out with that if you like ;)

Hope your next outing is as exciting as the last.

Thanks for the good wishes Julian. Yes I'm aware of that clause; I'm fine with it - you did read it fully didn't you, particularly the definition of a clear night - "one in which stars of the 6th magnitude are visible from the owner's back garden".

Archived