SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TAL-100RS refractor

Well I have a very early TAL 100r it's number 33 and only has the 1.25" focuser but it does have the older purple coloured lens and it performs fantastically.

I would say it easily holds it's own against all the other Achro's, I would even go as far and say it's one of the best.

Brilliant on double stars and clusters. The lens shows very little false colour and excells while viewing the moon.

Apo's are course better but cost a heck of alot more.

Does anyone know if the TAL-100RS refractor performs much better than other 4" ACHROs (Sky-Watcher, Celestron Omni) and also how it compares to 4" APOs?

Not sure if they're better but the 100R/RS is fine scope. The usual Russian build quality (bombproof) and optical quality apply. I used to own one and it is a very nice bit of kit but when you can buy a Skywatcher ED100 second hand for £200 or less which are much better optically, they're not a huge bargain unless it's cheap.

Tony..

The TAL's are very good achromats - about as good as the old Vixen 102 achro's I found. But an ED100 is a noticable step up in terms of colour correction.

There was a rumour a few years ago that the TAL's were "semi-apo's" but they are not - but they are great achros.

John

Tal do produce the 125R now but I'm not sure they are available in this country yet OVL are the importers in the UK, but they don't have it listed. Might be worth an e-mail?

I noticed on this site they have a 125 APO listed but no info.

Anyone know anything about it?

The telescopes.ru site hasn't been changed for ages including the page for the 125 APO. I looked long and hard for any other info and from what I can see it never got past the prototype stage.

Tony..

What a shame Tony as I bet it would have been pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, just picked up this thread, have been away on business...

I'm a Tal nut and am lucky enough to own a Tal 100R (purplue lens), a 100RS with the improved focusser and a Tal 125R which I recently bought from Dave Gibbons, and was previously owned by Moondog and I think Dweller 25 (they will put me right if that's incorrect :-))..

The 100R is a beautiful lens to look at..the 100RS is a much paler blue coating, but to my eyes its very difficult to see any performance difference. The 125R is my pride and joy and I will never sell it...it has large brass focusser knobs which Dave had turned for the scope and now give it superb fine focus capability. The lens too, is excellent and has the extra light grasp which makes the difference on fainter objects such as clusters and DSOs..

All 3 lenses are IMHO the best of their type, even comparable with Zeiss Telementors, considering they operate at F10 for the 100mm and F8.9 for the 125 versus the (I think) F13 or so of the Zeiss.

They are not apo's however, and will show very slight violet fringe colour on for example Vega or Jupiter - but it IS slight, and for me the x3 or so difference in price for the Apo is not justified - each to their own of course.

I love the build of the Tals' and their rugged robust simplicity...and they are white, as all "proper" scopes should be! (only joking!).

At £245 or so new the 100RS is difficult to beat. Mine sits on a Bresser Mon 2 mount and makes a lovely stable combination.

If only Tal responded to emails and updated their website more than once every 5 years!

I have not seen any other 125Rs mentioned in the UK, would love to hear from anyone else who has one?

clears skies to all,

Dave

If only Tal responded to emails and updated their website more than once every 5 years!

Hi Dave.

The website has been stagnant for years but the factory has an active forum, which is a must for Tal fans !!

In Russian of course, but my google toolbar, automatically translates it to English.

http://tiny.cc/ZewPr

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived