Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some tips & trick to get the best results from MaxIm DL5. I'm struggling to capture LRGB images, well actually I'm struggling to adjust the capture preferences. Can any one please explain this process to me?

The default setting seem to be as follows;

L = 1x1 binned and 60 seconds exposure

R, G & B = 2x2 binned and 60 seconds exposure

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Neil.

Before you can set up the sequence you need to configure your filter wheel and specify which filter is in which position. Then under expose/autosave you should be able to set up your sequence ok. you can save the sequence using "save sequence as" under options.

Does that help?

So this is in the camera exposure dialog box but I cant find the sequence settings?

Also I now appear to be struggling with the conversion of the FIT's files to Tiff's? I have just tried GIMP but it appears to be losing data in the conversion process. I certainly don't have 256 grayscale image after this step...

The FIT's look fine in MaxIm but not in Photoshop? Whats going on!

Neil.

So this is in the camera exposure dialog box but I cant find the sequence settings?

In the camera dialogue box open the Expose Tab, on the right hand side of the screen click the Autosave button, a box with sequence data should appear.

Steve..

Look out for the Options button on the pop up that Paxo refers to, there is an option there "Group by slot".

By default, it is not set. This means Maxim expects to do a red, then a green, then a blue, then a red etc. If you have a manual wheel like me (till tomorrow - yippee) you'll be changing the wheel for each sub.

If you set it, Maxim will do all the reds, then all the greens, then all the blues. (Assuming you have set the colours in your wheel in that order).

Hope that saves you a bit of frustration.

Mike - beginner imager.

What about the problem with the FIT's files? It seems that the only program that can read them properly is the one that created them "MaxIm DL". Even when I use that program to convert them to TIFF it doesn't work correctly?

I'm certainly losing a lot of information in the conversion process? Is there another issue that I'm missing or is it just something else!

When I try to open them with ccdsoft the colours are completely reversed, white becomes black and black becomes white!

Are you now able to set up the sequence ok Neil?

I have had some compatability issues between different programmes when it comes to FITS files. FITS can be saved in different formats - 8 and 16 bit integer, floating point and 32 bit. CCD can't handle 16 bit floating point FITS which is a shame. I've never had a problem creating a 16bit integer TIFF from FITS with any version of Maxim so I'm not quite sure what the problem is there.

As Mike says, you will need a plug in to use FITS with PS. FITSPlug handles colour FITS but isn't free unlike Liberator.

If you have persistent compatibility issues it may be worth visiting the Maxim Yahoo group.

Neil,

There are a couple of plug ins for Photoshop that allow you to manipulate FITS. One is FITSLiberator, can't recall the others but of you do a search they'll show up.

Mike

Thanks Mike but Liberator doesn't work with CS4:confused:

I have been searching around but can't seem to find anything else that will work with CS4 on my MAC?

Neil.

Are you now able to set up the sequence ok Neil?

I have had some compatability issues between different programmes when it comes to FITS files. FITS can be saved in different formats - 8 and 16 bit integer, floating point and 32 bit. .

Hi Martin, yes I've now managed to find the sequence button make edits and save my sequence but only with the camera connected.

Its really strange that you must have the ccd plugged in and connected otherwise you can't save your changes.

Regarding the FIT, I'm using MaxIm to convert them to TIFF in windows so that I may edit them on my MAC. Not sure if there is an additional Windows versus MAC problem with the files.

Photoshop should be Photoshop no matter where it runs, right?

Neil.

just a comment about FITS v TIFF. For my money there is absolutely no point at all in trying to get PS to look at a FITS file, it gives you nothing extra whatsoever. Maxim will save FITS as a 16 bit integer TIFF and that really is all you will ever need. People go on about 32 bit and floating point math but remember PS turns anything 16 bit into 15 bit on saving and your final display, whether screen or paper, will be no better than 7 bit.

Dennis

Archived