NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Salisbury Plain observing report 16 October

gliderpilot

We observed from White Sheet Hill near Stourhead NT under a really clear sky but a quite strong cold wind that made my eyes water. I brought my 4" refractor and 15x50 binoculars on a mirror mount; Dave bought his 10" newt cannon and Jon his 6" newt. Other observers included Jacqueline and her binoculars, Charles from MC2 in Frome and Keith with his 80mm refractor.

I began low in the west to see what could be picked up in Sagittarius and Scutum before they set. First of all, M22 a large globular cluster that would have been stunning if it wasn’t so low – the refractor was practically horizontal! After a quick sketch, I moved higher in the sky to M11 which is always an attractive sight and particularly so through the 10” and 8mm Ethos. One star stood out against the many gittering diamonds. A brief hunt for the adjacent Lagoon Nebula proved that it was unfeesible to hunt through the low murk.

I then moved across to the Capricorn region, first of all Jupiter with its moons strung out along one side. Slightly harder to make out than the giant planet was planetary nebulae NGC 6818, the Little Gem, and NGC 7009, the Saturn Nebula – both of which I have not observed before. The Little Gem is easy to miss as it is so small, cranking up the magnification revealed a tiny featureless disc with a slightly pale green colour. It is clear where the Saturn Nebula gets its name from with tiny protrusions, or ansae, on both sides.

The bigger scopes were enjoying M31 and its attendant galaxies and M33. Both were stunning in the 10”, two dust lanes clearly visible on M31 and diffuse mottling, spiral features on M33. These stunning galaxies are worthy of further study to pick out the many details within.

The Veil nebula was particularly stunning through a UHC filter - both the witches broom alongside 51 Cygni (see sketch) and the brighter NGC 6995 and 6992 sections. The dark skies allowed detailed mottling and tendrils to be made out.

Overhead, the North American nebula was visible as a brighter patch of milky way and the bay at the Gulf of Mexico was quite clear. Swinging the binoculars across revealed a number of dark nebulae hiding the myriad of stars behind.

Now that the winter sky was appearing, I moved across to M36, M37 and M38. A stunning view as always, especially through the binoculars. I did a sketch of M38, M36 and the smaller NGC1907 as seen through the binoculars and the mirror mount which, once again, showed that being comfortable allows more detail to be seen and observed.

After an unsuccessful hunt for Uranus (without a detailed star chart!) and NGC 5866 in Draco (quite low but that’s my excuse) it was time for a brew and break. After which, we swung across to M42 and adjacent M43. The view, as always, was stunning with the trapezium set against a complex nebula with the sweeping, eagle-like wings. The Pleiades was glittering through the binoculars with the faint nebulosity readily visible (or was that the cold wind causing my eyes to water?). These showpiece objects are always a pleasure after hunting at the limit of visibility!

Unfortunately the sky clouded over so we agreed to call it a night - which came as a relief due to the cold temperatures and wind chill. Ironically, when I get home it had cleared again and was again wonderfully clear. I was tempted to observe with the binoculars but observing from my limited garden after such clear horizons would be quite an anti-climax so I left the gear in the car and went to bed.

Fingers crossed for another clear night tonight.

Mark

post-15958-133877405086_thumb.jpg

post-15958-133877405091_thumb.jpg

post-15958-133877405096_thumb.jpg

Mark, fantastic report! I love the addition of sketches, too, really shows what can be seen with observing equipment and your eyes.. a great way to show beginners what to expect.

It sounds like you had a very fulfilling night, apart from Uranus and NGC5866, but the other objects you picked up more than make up for it. I have yet to see the veil nebula, I will give it a go asap, you have inspired me ;) M31 et al must be amazing through a 10"

great write up :)

Glad you both enjoyed the report, I also enjoyed putting it all together. You are always more than welcome to come and join us if you wish. We are hoping to go out again tonight so fingers crossed for some more clear skies.

Mark

PS And I have now downloaded the Uranus and Neptune finder charts!

Nice sketches Mark, especially as I was looking at some of the same objects last night. Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of viewing in a group from time to time. I think I will have to see whether some of the West Midlands folk fancy a meet up at some point.

Nice sketches Mark, especially as I was looking at some of the same objects last night. Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of viewing in a group from time to time. I think I will have to see whether some of the West Midlands folk fancy a meet up at some point.

I'm game. ;)

Martyn: I have a 4" skywatcher ed pro, a great scope that compliments my homemade 8.5" dob.

Julian: I can recommend group observing. We started this after the Salisbury star party when a number of us realised that we live within half an hour of each other. You get great company in what can be a solitary activity but the chance to try out other kit, borrow things you have forgotten and pick other peoples observing lists.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Martyn: I have a 4" skywatcher ed pro, a great scope that compliments my homemade 8.5" dob.

Julian: I can recommend group observing. We started this after the Salisbury star party when a number of us realised that we live within half an hour of each other. You get great company in what can be a solitary activity but the chance to try out other kit, borrow things you have forgotten and pick other peoples observing lists.

Mark

Your homemade dob is awsome Mark!! crystal clear views and enough apature to enjoy the faintest of fuzzies.. You really did a great job on that one!! Well done.

Your report was a great read too mate.. Cant wait for the next one.

Archived