Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 & HEQ5 Pillar Mounts

Euan

Hi folks,

I have the HEQ5 Piller Mount (see: Skywatcher - Skywatcher Pillar Mount Support for HEQ5 & EQ6 series mounts)

I'm just about to switch to an EQ6, do I have to buy a new mount? I notice they are different part numbers on most sites

I'm hoping not, it took some serious jigsaw action to cut my pier down to fit in my teeny wee obs!

Thanks

Euan

A bit OT, but how do you find these extension pieces? Are they tight, stable and robust???

I looked at the SW website and see you need to fit them to the tripod then fit the mounting to the top... why didn't they just supply a longer centre bolt, that way you could fit the extension permanently to the tripod and remove the mounting head as usual and fit as usual?????

A bit OT, but how do you find these extension pieces? Are they tight, stable and robust???

I looked at the SW website and see you need to fit them to the tripod then fit the mounting to the top... why didn't they just supply a longer centre bolt, that way you could fit the extension permanently to the tripod and remove the mounting head as usual and fit as usual?????

They are solid but need tightening every now and again (2 Allen bolts) as they can loosen a little over time as you swing the scope around.

Heres some notes I made when I first got mine (inc. the same observation as you've made about fixing the extension to the tripod).

The only thing I'd add is that extension needs tightening every now and again (every few sessions) if you are too heavy handed swinging the scope around.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/37592-big-lad-just-got-bigger-eq6-extension-piece.html

Thanks Blinky, turns out the two tops are for piers the same size so we might be able to just swap them!

Euan, I think the guy selling you the EQ6 has a pier top he is selling for £40. Might be worth a quick PM if you are interested and ask him to bring it along.

Archived