Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up - another Sun spot

daveg

• 2 weeks later...

;):(:p

Hi Dave!

At last!! I have been watching AR1029 this afternoon between clouds. It's amazing - the first time I've actually been able to see sunpots. I tried to get some pictures with my webcam but it was a bit hit and miss because of the clouds but I'm really happy!

Thanks for all the encouragement last month - I'd have given up otherwise!

Liz :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Liz! Any sign of those images. btw its on its way around again hopefully late next week if it survives the trip round the "far side". You can see from my white light image http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar-solar/90222-ar11029-last.html that it was as big as the Earth first time around! Glad I could Help

David

Hi All, first post for me, but suspect a numberof folk here know me.

Re the sunspot. Ive juust had a peek in a gap in the cloud. Its nit there in white light, but in Ha there is a great bug prominence visible! Hope someone else can get a pic, Ive high level cloud here in Scarborough.

Kev Lawrence

SP102M, Solarscope 50.

(and looking at getting an 8" Newt now weve settled in up here)

think we can beat that Nick - try cars being washed away down a road!! long range (3-4 days) dont look great either.

Kev its still on the "far side". be careful as some of the satellite images (especially stereo :rolleyes: are taken from further round the eastern side than we can see.

David

Daveg - I appreciate that, but the Ha prominence from the active area was definately on view in my Ha scope. In fact it was one of the biggest that I've seen!

I just wish this dreaded cloud would go away. Here we seem to be getting the best of the weather at the mo, its only cloudy with a bit of rain and light wind.

Kev

Hi Dave, The Ha image is taken on my Solarview 50mm Ha scope, bandwidth <0.8A, with a DCL28mm eyepiece coupled to my Nikon 4500 camera directly (they thread in together), taken at 1/60 (usually in summer thats around 1/125 but this time a year its so low down and being by the sea I get some haze...). Thats for prominences.

For disk work the same but exposed 4 times more (so summer normally 1/30-1/60 depending on how clear), and using the green channel of the Nikon only (! this is a well known oddity of the camera).

Processing on CCDSOFT, unsharp masked, and resampled to reduce image size to 50%.

White Light (when I publish a decent one) Vixen Super Polaris 102mm, with a Green dichloric filter (sharp cut off either side of green), plus everbrite diagonal, plus DCL28, plus Nikon 4500.

Must admit i was pleased with that Ha image, however I still need to critically focus it again. Its very near but not exact, can tell that from the disk detail which suddenly really snaps into view - on the photo but not to the eye - which makes it very difficult, unless (please) there is a nice big filiment to focus on. When ive set it up normally I use some selotape to keep the focuser from sliding even a little. Was annoyed when over last year the tape I had on it came off and i lost exact focus. Grrrrr!

Kev

Oops very obvious ommison, should have comments tat in white light I use a nice sheet of astrosolar mylar film, visual type (ex hinds). I check that every solid time I use it as although some literature says one or two minute pin holes dont have much effect I find they do reduce contrast a lot. Blacking them out with e nice permanent marker pen usually produces more than you had and with the film being so cheap on a roll, its easier to make a new filter.

Archived