Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

pick and choose

nicnac

looking to purchase a pair of bins`s but a little stumped on which pair, does anyone here have any experience with the Revelation 20x100 and the Helios quantum 4 25x100 ?? which one is best??

I have seen the specs for both but would appreciate the first hand experience one of you guys may have.

Cheers.

Nick

(Strong arms aren't good enough for the big bins Lulu, my 22x100s weigh 8 lbs. and need a tripod with a mount capable of bearing the weight properly. :) )

Hi Nick, do either of those bins you mentioned have angled, interchangable eyepieces? I love my 22x100s but in hindsight regret the fact that they're straight-through with a fixed 22x. Not trying to talk you out of buying a pair, just being totally honest. :D

The Helios 25x100 is a Kunming United series BA3 bino. It is sold internationally by Garrett and Oberwerk and others. It is a recommended bino. It has good specs with firm I.F. [individaul focusers] and it is a cost effective bino.

It has a clear aperture of 98 mm which is good. It is a F/4 doublet and hence does display moderate CA [color fringing] on bright objects. The image is bright and it displays good on axis resolution. There is moderate curavature of field from about 80% out - which is the with in the norm - otherwise there is minimal aberrations and distortions. It is recommended over the 20x80 version - which actually has an effective aperture of around 71-72 mm's.

This bit is important - the 25x100 does requite a heavy duty mount as it is 4.5 klgs. It requires a large 7 ft. type Manfrotto mount with a crank. This may/ will cost more then the bino itself - nothing less will do as 1/ it will be 'unsafe' and 2/ you need to be able to get 'under' the bino to observe correctly. The 25x100 does give impressive dark sky images and frames abjects like M31 / M33 nicely. It has a 2.2 Tfov.

The 22x100 version is an 'old 'design with prism housing that are 'narrow'. It is not recommended however it still gives good images and if you can get a second hand one at good price it will service you well still.

The 100-45 degree B.T. is another Kunming United instrument. It 4x times the price of the basic 25x100. It has the interchangable 1.25 in. E.P's which makes it versatile and can go to 80x. It is a triplet and termed a 'semi APO' [ which is not a good term really]. It comes on its own yoke mount. That does give stunning images.

Another bino which I highly recommend is the Kunming Utited 'Ulra' series BA8 and is sold by Oberwerk as the 'Ultra' and Garrett as the 'Signature Series' and in the U.K. as the Helios Apollo series. It has a clear aperture of 70 mm and has excellent optical and build qualities. It has Tfov of 4.4. and a wide Afov of 66 degree's. It is built to compete with the Fujinon 16x70 version - but that is really a suberb bino and really the best 15/16x 70 bino you can get.

Chris

[Hi - this is my 'second' post on this site. I did join at the beginning of the year but life got in the way. I have been into astronmomy for 40 odd years and now collect various optical instruments. I have been more into binocular astronomy of more recent years and now have about 40 various large ones. I have done reviews on the C.N'.s forum under 'charen'.]

If they are going to be permanently used with a tripod then I would go for the 25x100's Helios - Helios Quantum 4 binoculars and this Accessories - Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod which is a excellent tripod and can easily carry the weight of the larger bins.

I have the 20x90's , I opted for the smaller bins as I mostly keep them in my car for grab and go on the way home and can hold them steady for about 10 minutes which is enough for a quick peek.

Vlebo

Hi the 25x100 binos are an excellent choice. It will five you good dark sky viewing. The tripod mentioned above - the Horizon 8115 as mentioned by vlebo however will simply NOT do - it is far to inadequate and unsafe. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. You need a large 7 ft. tripod with a HD crank that can hold triple the weight of the binos load. 80 quid new will not do for a suitable new tripod. Large binos place an extra strain on the head due to there 'overhang' esp. when on an angle.

Chris

thanks for that one.

how do you think the ones you have perform?

They perform very well for what they are , you cannot get the detail as you would a small dob or a refractor but for wide field grab-n-go they are great.

As far as the tripod goes I was led to believe the Horizon I have could easily carry the weight of the 25x100's , I certainly have not had a problem with my 20x90's at any angle.

Hi Nicnac,

i have the quantum 25x100 with the 8115 tripod and it copes very well just make sure that you insert the clamp properly when putting the bins on the tripod (it comes with the tripod and screws onto the bottom of the bins then just locks onto tripod) you will see what i mean if you get them, also the bins can move along a central axis as a slide bar is used to level them as you will see if you look at a picture of them.

regards ron.s.g

I would say, if at all possible, get something with 45deg e/ps - it is sooooo much more comfortable than straight thrus if you're looking at anything over about 45deg. And get the biggest best tripod you possibly can ideally with a central column and fluid geared head. Also, a realy good tripod can be used for so many things:).

Below is excellent in depth article on the various mounts suitable esp. for heavy binoculars.

I must emphasise it is important to acquire a suitable mount that is designed to take eccentric loads.

I have used the Horizon type tripod with my 25x100 but it really is not suitable and is ultimately unsafe. I am only saying this from years of trail an error with big binos and tripods - not to upset any one.

Chris

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/thoughts.pdf

Been reading this with interest, as I thought that the Horizon was OK for 25 x 100; I am also considering the Quantum 4's, but not purchased yet as they were out of stock.

Points re binocular overhang taken on board; I can see that as soon as you tip 'em up they may have difficulty locking, particularly as time goes on and wear and tear sets in.

Re the Apollos, Astronut had a pair - his review is here http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/70014-first-light-22x85-binos.html

Jon

Archived