NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

good all round telescope

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little bird told me there might be some better prices coming our way on the Explorer 200

Hmm sounds interesting. Did that birdie tell you any other stories by any chance? How about a price drop on the Skyscan upgrade or the ED80?

Russ

Russ,

I did hear one thing about the Skyscan and thats there is a major upgrade to the firmware that will require users to buy a new handset to enable on its way soon, so it may be best to wait awhile....?

I'd go with Adrius with a good all round starter scope, you can't beat a 8" Newt on a EQ mount!! :)

Thanks Gaz! I was looking to order Skyscan next month. But i'll wait until the firmware is here. I don't suppose you have any idea what that upgrade maybe? Just an increase to the GOTO catalogue perhaps. A 13,000 database is a bit behind the GOTO Meade's which have 40K. Or i wonder if it's a better setup routine?

Getting back on topic. The 8" Newt on HEQ5 has to the most popular setup right now. For £539 there's nothing to touch it.

Russ

I think the major thing was the 'sync' function that the current model doesn't have (apparently!).

It means for extra accuracy, if you know a nearby star to a DSO you can 'Sync' on the star and then GOTO the DSO. It's not a big thing in itself but I'd hate to buy a £500 system that had stuff like missing.....and who knows what else?

Archived