NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Secondary dew heater

Any idea where I can get a secondary mirror dew heater pad for my 12" Skyliner Flextube Dob?

I did email a Famous teLescOpe shop about this a couple of weeks ago but didnt get a reply :D

Allan

I have one (wrap around type) which i will be selling here soon. If you can't wait you can get a new one here:

Altair Astro Nature Optics CATALOG - Astronomy Telescopes & SkyShed POD Observatory equipment UK & Europe

Also, I think the retailer you are referring to had a recent electrical problem and may not have received your email, best to call him really, he's a nice chap to talk to :D

Also, I think the retailer you are referring to had a recent electrical problem and may not have received your email, best to call him really, he's a nice chap to talk to :D

I think that may be the reason, I only remembered today i hadnt got a reply, I wasnt meaning to complain about them.

I'll have a look at the link, thanks

Allan

What kind of secondary holder have you got. Is it a stalk with the mirror glued to it in which case a wrap around stalk heater from Kendrick might be best although you'll need a dew controller as well to use it, If is a hollow holder with the mirror held on by clips then the best solution is the astrosystems dewguard DewGuard

This fits inside the holder, self contained powersource with a 9v battery and built in temp sensor control.

What kind of secondary holder have you got. Is it a stalk with the mirror glued to it in which case a wrap around stalk heater from Kendrick might be best although you'll need a dew controller as well to use it, If is a hollow holder with the mirror held on by clips then the best solution is the astrosystems dewguard DewGuard

This fits inside the holder, self contained powersource with a 9v battery and built in temp sensor control.

That looks a superb idea, unfortunately, my secondary mirror is the glued to a stalk type. Brympton has identified the correct heater in his post so I will be looking at one of those.

Allan

I did email a Famous teLescOpe shop about this a couple of weeks ago but didnt get a reply :D

Sorry Allen, that was around the time we were at Kelling, your email must have slipped through the net.

Try Blinky, he makes bespoke heater tapes.

Sorry Allen, that was around the time we were at Kelling, your email must have slipped through the net.

Try Blinky, he makes bespoke heater tapes.

No problem, I thoink it was when you had your power outage.

Allan

Hi there, is the rear of the mirror visible, or is it sheathed in black plastic?

Nick

I am in need of a secondary dew heater because my secondary dews up something chronic. I have a Revelation 12 inch Dob and the secondary appears to be sheathed in black plastic. Would that rule out getting a wrap-around heater (I am guessing it would); if that is the case what could I do to prevent dew forming on the secondary?

Thanks

It looks like this...

Allan

OK thanks for posting the picture Allan :D.

The "wrap around" one mentioned earlier won't work with this setup. You need a design which makes as even as possible contact with the rear of the mirror, which you can slip around the stalk.

Nick

I am in need of a secondary dew heater because my secondary dews up something chronic. I have a Revelation 12 inch Dob and the secondary appears to be sheathed in black plastic. Would that rule out getting a wrap-around heater (I am guessing it would); if that is the case what could I do to prevent dew forming on the secondary?

Thanks

Not sure of what type heater you would need. I am going for the flexi dew shield first ( and shroud for my open tube dob) to see how that works. I have always had success in the past with shields on SCT's. If that doesnt work, then I may look at someone like Altair Astro as I understand they do the right dew heaters for mine. Might be worth you contacting them to see if they can help.

Nick, thanks for the info.

Allan

Archived