Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What to go with?

Well, my short time with the Omni XLT 120 has come to an end (nice scope, but focusser I found not nice, and CG4 mount undersized...) so I am more or less back to square one.

Have decided I need quick and / or semi-permanent set up (under my scope cover, when viable) and on my budget am initially drawn to the Skyliner 200p Dob, had one of these before which I thoroughly enjoyed using.

However, my head has also been turned by the Skymax 127, either as OTA or as the SupaTrak package (perhaps for some shortish exposure afocal photography) but would appreciate any advice on how it performs on DSO's...I am aware it is not really designed for these, but generally I stick to the more 'showpiece' / well known objects, and I also do like lunar / planetary when in favourable view (suppose hard to see them when they're not in view mind you!)

Finally, have also noticed the Celestron 80ED at a very good price at the moment, how do you think this would stand up against the others visually?

Thanks for your time people!

Chris

The best telescope is the one that gets the most use!

I'd suggest an ED80 on a EQ5 type mount. Won't go wrong, and even if you upgrade in the future the ED80 will go with you.

Sure it's not a 200mm or 250mm aperture, but it IS easy to set up and use, does lunar/planetary/ DSO's and can be used for imaging....

I can't comment on the dobs, having never used them. The C80ED is a great scope for the money. Between the 80ED and the Skymax 102, I think the 80ED is a far better all rounder. But... the Skymax works nicely on my little Nexstar mount, so is really good when my back is not up to lifting the HEQ5.

Another fan of the ED80 here ( mines the Skywatcher version ) , its a really nice scope and performs much better than I ever thought a 3" aperture could. It also sits perfectly on an EQ5, its easy to carry the whole lot out in one go and needs little cool down time.

And perfect for imaging too....

Allan

Thanks for the responses guys...wow, it has surprised me a bit I suppose, thought people would maybe gravitate towards the Dob...but now I have more food for thought!

I am aware the ED80 should be great on planetary, but just how good is it on DSO's considering it's 3.1" objective? Would I seriously not miss having the light grasp of something bigger if I had a scope of the quality of the Apo?

Chris

The ED80 is superb on large scale DSO's, for smaller Galaxy's and other objects the focal length is too short, but as a widefield scope one of the best. There is no one perfect scope which is why most people have two to get decent coverage of large and small objects.

Brendan

Archived