NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oooookaaayyyy... So, anyone else in south/central Scotland...

Takahashi

...feel like just selling everything optical, and becoming a Cloud Technician?

Seriously... this is becoming unbearable. I've lived here for over forty years, been observing for about 20 of those years, and never, never have I known such unpredictable, cloud-strewn, haze-enveloped garbage, as I've witnessed in the last few months.

An example; tonight, the forecast was for a clear night, with "very good" visibility, so I thought, I'll set-up early, and maybe catch a few shots of the Moon and Jupiter. *&%^"£. After a half-hour's setup, during which the sky was, as reported, clear, give or take a few dissipating clouds, I did indeed get (literally) a few shots of the Moon. Then, within ten f$&*"&g minutes of setting up, a massive, imposing wall of nebulous Rubbish moved in from the west, completely enveloping everything within 10 - 15 minutes.

... :D

Another 15 minutes later, and I'm back in the house, hating everything there is to hate. Even if it does clear up later, I'll be damned if I'm going to lug it all back out there, only to be laughed at by the sky as it once again creates these humongous blocks of vaporous Rubbish to send me homeward, having lapped-up half-a-lumen of starlight.

Sometimes... just sometimes... I really, really hate this country.

:D

Well, things did improve... slightly, so I managed a few dozen shots of the Moon. Jupiter was good too though, visually at least.

The long exposure shot shows the wispy haze we get so much these days. Even when it's clear, it isn't clear :D :D :

post-17238-133877402154_thumb.jpg

post-17238-13387740216_thumb.jpg

...feel like just selling everything optical, and becoming a Cloud Technician?

Seriously... this is becoming unbearable. I've lived here for over forty years, been observing for about 20 of those years, and never, never have I known such unpredictable, cloud-strewn, haze-enveloped garbage, as I've witnessed in the last few months......

I'm in west central scotland. Never mind the last few months. This has been one of the most craptastic years I can remember. Been out only a handful of times.

Andy.:D

I cant remember weather as bad as this..ever, I think we have had about two truly clear nights since June.:D

I set up last night after watching the (completely useless) forecast on tv, and managed a 5 minute view of the Moon before everything suddenly clouded over.

I packed everything away again, but just before going to bed I had another quick look outside and there was a small patch of sky clear, and Jupiter was in view.

I quickly took the wee Tal scope outside for a look, The combination of no cool down time and dreadful seeing made for poor views, but it was quite literrally the first chance I've had to see Jupiter this year, and the way the weather has been, possibly the last.

I just wonder if climate change is going to make this kind of weather the norm for this part of Scotland from now on :D

Yeah I'm with with you's on this one, left the house in Edinburgh last night,

sky still pretty clear, got to the observation location - 90% cloud. Where on

earth did that come from !

I have never seen the clouds move in so fast as I have this past month. I'm

convinced Central Scotland is plagued by supersonic stealth clouds that seem

to just appear !! - GGGGGrrrrrrrrrrr

Kathleen

Sorry, it doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon. The past three years have seen very little in the way of long clear and cold spells like we used to get in the early '80 - caused by blocking Highs over Britain and the near continent.

Might be an early sign of climate change to cloudy and wet in winter and cloudy, wet and warm in summer.

Maybe we should take up radio astronomy instead.

We had loads of clear nights through late May, and June, even July....

Problem there is that you can sit outside and read a book in the pale blue light so no chance of any stars...August.. Darker... Wettest August ever!

September not uch different.

Steve

Steve

Archived