Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M56

Andrew

Had a go at M56 last night. Terrible conditions! Lots of patchy cloud kept drifting across the view - made it hard to keep the target in the FOV at high power. All very frustrating, so this took rather a long time for what was a somewhat less than spectacular sight. After this I moved on to M2 which was far more impressive. Started to sketch that but gave up after half an hour battling the clouds. Next clear sky I hope to revisit it :o

post-12861-133877400322_thumb.jpg

Good work andrew..Yes those darn clouds don't half get in the way don't they?.

How long did you take with your sketch Andrew? and how long do your skeches normally take? i did a couple of m31 the other night but it was there one minute and then gone the next, really difficult to get a grip on where it started and finished.It's now my target for the next sketch.I'm also going to start including FOV and limmiting mag as you do on your sketches...keep up the good work:icon_salut:

regards craig

Thanks guys,

Craig ~ it's hard to recall how long this one took because at least 75% of the time I was waiting for clouds to pass and relocating it! I guess I usually spend maybe 30 mins to an hour on a sketch depending upon how much detail can be seen. With some open clusters where there are 100+ stars visible it's probably longer. I draw everything in a sketch book with notes and then redraw it inside (usually the next day) where I can see what I'm doing better.

I'm aiming to sketch all the Messier objects and M56 was the 50th so I'm almost halfway there. I'm in the process of scanning all my sketches and uploading them to my albums on the forum. I've done most of the brighter open clusters and nebulae now - I have an aweful lot of the fainter galaxies and southerly globulars left to draw!

Thanks andy, Those cluster sketches are something else mate, hats off to ya.:o...I hope one day I can tackle those.......mmmm, I should spend a little longer on them maybe......mine are taking about 10 -15 mins... and ya can tell !:)...thanks again.

regards craig.

Archived