Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help!, I don't believe it! the syntrek mount is dead!

Keithp

Just gone out to set up for tonight and tried to use a synscan controller, goto, for the first time and it does not come on and initialise. Switched everything off and put the smaller controller on and that didn't show any lights either.

The red power light comes on on the mount but when I put my ear hard up against the mount I cannot hear the motors driving.

Anyone else had this?

The mount has been out all night and day, but covered over with a motor cycle cover. Independant power to the synscan controller and it initialises okay..

Any one got a suggestion as to what's wrong...is the mount screwed!

Regards

Keith

Not sure Keith

Perhaps the motors do not run until it has initialised?

Should you have any problems, i have a synscan V2 handset that i do not use. You are welcome to try it if need be.

You are welcome to use it as long as you require.

Best regards

John

Hi John, many thanks for the reply.

The controller is version 2.4 and I'm pretty sure it's okay. It initialises and comes up with a comms error when connected to an independent power supply.

When it's connected to the mount and the mount is switched on..nothing. Put the original smaller hand controller on and that is lifeless too.

Everything was working fine the other night though with the smaller hand controller.

The power light is on on the mount, I've used both battery power and the ac power connector, in case the battery wasn't fully charged but no joy, there is no initiall sort of quiet click and then hum of the motors turning over.

Not too sure then Keith.

I have not had enough experience to offer any technical help. Sorry.

I would be tempted to warm the mount up in case it is a damp problem. Long shot really.

Hope someone more knowledgable is along soon.

Just been out and checked it again and when the power is connected and it's switched on I've looked through the polar aligning scope and it's showing red, like normal but again no motors are running and the small hand controller is not showing any lights.:)

It sounds like a connection issue between the controller and mount. If I power on the mount with no controller connected it won't do anything until I press a button on the controller (ok, it's an HEQ5 not an EQ6 but ...) Check the pins on the controllers and the mount ?

I did initially switch it on with no controllers connected. Then switched it off and connected the new synscan controller, that showed no response so I switched it off and connected the original smaller controller that came with the mount. When I switched on again that was dead too, normally that flashes a couple of times then shows the guide button flashing red while the motors turn.

Now nothing, no lights and no motors humming. Oh cripes is it dead?

:o

Well I've just had the cover panel off and looked inside for any signs of water ingress, but no, clean as a whistle. I should say that that the red led on the front panel of the mount does come on, so power is okay.

The board checks out as regards all the connections, nothing loose, nothing burnt or blown.

I've also had the skyscan controller connected to an independent power source, but not connected to the mount head. It initialises okay so that appears to be working.

I've sent an email off to the suppliers detailing the problem. I don't want to have to post the whole mount back so I'm hoping they can send me a replacement control board to try.

Doesn't look too difficult a job to replace, pretty similar to installing a new motherboard in computers, of which I've built many.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

Keithp

• 2 weeks later...

Archived