Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sticky problem.

glowjet

Hi All,

I need to glue some thin rubber to a metal surface, alloy in particular, the parts will come in for some handling from time to time.

Contact adhesives tend to come apart after a while, any recommendations for a good rubber to metal glue.

Thanks,

John.

It depends partly on use. Cyanacrylate (Superglue) is usually good on both metal and rubber but tends to be brittle if it needs to flex.

Epoxy Resin (Araldite) is strong but takes longer to go off.

If you are talking of a large surface area I tend to go for spray adhesives (the kind of thing you use to fix carpets down)

Sorry for the hijack, but is Superglue suitable for metal-metal bonding exposed to cold temperatures (like those scopes are exposed to)? It wouldn't need to flex at all.

Thanks

Trev

The secret with superglue is to use as little as possible by having a close fitting join. When joining 2 inflexible surfaces that might be difficult sobear it in mind.

I would have thought it ok with the temperatures but I'm more a fan of epoxies. Perhaps something like Liquid Metal would be good?

Archived