Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ive been waiting all year to see this (first time) set my alarm for 3 even though work early in the morning, well worth beening nackered all day for lol even got a first atempt at taking a image .

are there any filters to inprove the colour. thanks toby:headbang:

[ATTACH]27166[/ATTACH]

Nice image astroKat - I've just bought the EOS1000D so it's nice to see a result from it. Hope you don't mind - I've had a quick go at the processing to lose some of the light pollution and bring out the nebulosity a bit more. There are others on here far more expert than me who could probably do more with it - the processing is such an important part of the process as I'm learning.

Regards

John

post-14401-133877398922_thumb.jpg

I don't usually do RGB but I couldn't resist having a go at this.

First off I alinged the R,G & B channels. This reduced the LP effect.

Then it was just a few tweaks of levels and curves and finally some noise reduction.

As suggested, a LP filter would help.

Steve

post-14051-133877398935_thumb.jpg

Hi Toby - from what I can gather from the experts, M42 is actually a really hard target to get a good image of - it;s impossible to get the correct exposure for the whole thing with one setting, so to get a good image, you need to take exposures of varying lengths - longer to get the fainter nebula detail and shorter for the centre. Then it's a case of compiling the image from the various exposures to get a balanced picture.

There's a tutorial somewhere on the web on how to do it - you'll need something like adobe photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to do the processing.

Hi Toby,

I've had a go at your stack now - hope you don't mind - again, I'm not an expert at the processing and there are members on here who could probably do far more with it, but hopefully you'll like the improvements. SOme nice detail there - like me, it looks like you need a light pollution filter. I'm now saving for one of the EOS clip filters - about £110. I think it will be worth every penny. In the meantime, I've removed as much of the LP as I can for you.

Best wishes

John

post-14401-133877399024_thumb.jpg

M42 has a bright core and lots of faint outer whispy bits.

You can mask off the central brighter parts in photoshop and process only the outer parts, without burning out the core. Or you can take two sets of images. Longer exposures for the outer area's and shorted ones for the central bright area.

Then combine them in photoshop.

You can buy a 2" LP filter which will screw into the 2" adapter. They do not have to be that expensive.

I have two

Light Pollution Reduction - Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter which is £25

Light Pollution Reduction - Baader Neodymium Filter which is £42

I did compare the two in a reveiw here...http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/71126-skywatcher-lpr-filter-vs-baader-neodymium-filter.html

HTH

Ant

Archived