Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew Shield

Nik C

Hello All

Just joined the forum.

I'm quite new to atronomy, bought a scope about 18 months ago (Skywaycher 250 on HEQ5 GoTo mount) but between doing up a house and cloudy skies usage has been a bit limited - but what I have done has been great fun (highlights - Moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Orion Nebula).

I was away in Weymouth recently and wished I had my scope with me as the dark skies were great (London to the north and Guildford to the south at home) so I have just bought a 6 month old Skymax 127 on GoTo mount as a grab and go scope as the 250 is not that mobile!!

I've read that a dew shield is recommended with a Mak and was wondering if anyone had advice on which one to buy, whether a shield by itself is enough or if I need a heated one.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL, Nik. :D The corrector plates on Maks and SCTs are dew-magnets.. trust me, i've got one of each, lol. You can easily and affordably make a dew shield from a thin styrofoam camping mat but TBH i'd use it in tandem with some sort of dew prevention system. If you want a quick fix, a hair dryer (low heat, low fan) can be used instead of the dew prevention system but it's merely postponing the inevitable and needs to be constantly repeated throughout the session.

TBH I find most nights in the UK that a sheild on its own is enough to keep the dew at bay.

Not here in Wisconsin. :D I think it might be because my day/night temp fluctuates so greatly, though. Yesterday it was 26C but went down to 8C by the time i went home... everything was absolutely dripping.

Nik, i have a Dew Buster.. not sure if it's available in the UK but i suppose any thermostatically controlled unit would work the same. They're not cheap, but they use less power than the static on/off heat tapes. I used those when i first started out in all this about 10 years ago but found out the hard way that they get dry-rot after a few years.

Thanks Talitha. Don't think that they are but the Kendricks seem popular and you can buy the shield with a fitting built on for the heater if you want to upgrade later so will probably go with that. Thanks for your help.

Hi from me too - you might also want to get a dewshield for the 200 as well - reflectors are not immune to dew either and the secondary mirror will dew up just as readily as an SCT corrector plate.

A decent dew shield will also improve contrast for you and get rid of any extraneous light.

TBH I find most nights in the UK that a sheild on its own is enough to keep the dew at bay.

Not my expereince near the sea in Blackpool (plus a large pond at the back of my property). From October through to March dew is a constant problem and not one a dew shield will beat on its own. I use the dew-not system from Modern Astronomy:-

Accessories @ Modern Astronomy

Brinders

Archived