Problems with alignment; goto is off

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I use. It just that using a 25mm eyepiece gives the star a lot of space in the eyepiece. The thing is that the more powerful eyepiece the more it centre's the star therefore when you change back to a 25mm eyepiece or 32mm eyepiece you've got more of a chance seeing what the want if the scope is just off.

Noel

Guest metroman

Hi,

Jarralad has been round tonight helping with the alignment. We tried unsuccessfully to align the scope. So I checked my coordinates, and looked at the instructions for the scope on how to enter them, and they were entered wrong:my coordinates are 54° 57` 15.37"N and 1° 29`38.06"W. They have to be entered lat first and lon second. I had entered them lon first and lat second. So I reset the hand control to the factory settings and re:entered the coordinates the right way around. I did a two star alignment with the first star being Vega, and I used Capella for the second star. After centering Vega okay, the scope this time slewed in the correct direction towards Capella, and I again centred Capella in the eyepiece, and the handcontrol said alignment was successful. So I put in M33 and the scope did slew to M33 okay. Thanks to all who replied to the thread.

Martin

Guest metroman

I have found out why I was not having any success with the star alignment. I had entered the coordinates incorrectly into the handcontrol. I had entered the lat and lon the wrong way round. I have just been outside tonight, and the alignment is now successful every time.

Martin:icon_salut:

• 1 year later...

hi there i am also having problems, when you set the time zone, if i set it to+ 00.00 the LST is 4 hours in front of my normal time when i check time and date, i have to -4hrs to bring the Lst time to my time, do you know if this is wrong. yours paul. tryed aligning last night also and failed twice.

hi there i am also having problems, when you set the time zone, if i set it to+ 00.00 the LST is 4 hours in front of my normal time when i check time and date, i have to -4hrs to bring the Lst time to my time, do you know if this is wrong. yours paul. tryed aligning last night also and failed twice.

From your earlier posts you live in York. Check that the location coordinates in your handset are correct. The centre of York is 53 57N, 1 05 W, these coordindates should be inputted into your handset in this order: 001 05 W, 53 57 N. The time zone is +0.00 and DST is now off until March 2011. The time and date are not stored in the handset's memory and need to be inputted every time you switch the mount on.

Peter

If when asked for 1 of your star choices you find it is covered by cloud or other you can just use the up and down arrows to select a different target... choose 1 that you can clearly see (you can do this for all 3 target stars). Get it spot on middle in 25mm EP but DO NOT hit enter... then replace the 25mm EP with 10mm and centre it with arrows on the handset.... if you have a smaller EP do the same again. The smaller the EP the greater the alignment... only hit enter when you have it DEAD CENTER in your most powerful EP.

Also do NOT rely on the bubble built in to the mount get yourself a cheap short bubble level from wickes (plastic is fine) and make sure you get the mount nice and level.... time spent here before hand pays off for a long night of successful alignment...

Actually, I am near Newcastle upon Tyne. When I tried again, it said that Arcturus was below the horizon!! Also, when I put in Jupiter, it also said that it was below the horizon, yet I was looking at Jupiter with my bins, and then manually with the telescope. I am beginning to get a little frustrated now, as I am now just ending up loking at the sky using the scope manually.

Martin

Ant: Removed! Language

i dont kow much about syn scan but this sounds like you have either not put in the correct time and date or entered the wrong coordinates. as for centering the star use a wide eyepiece first and then move up to higher power eyepieces centering as you go

• 6 months later...
Guest metroman

Hi,

I am back!! I was going to sell my two telescopes, but my Grandson was a bit upset over this, as he appears to be taking some interest in astronomy. So I will keep them now, and try and get a bit more active.

Martin

I have a 130P with Skyscan also, no problems with alinement as yet. Best advise I got was to 'de-focus ' the alignment stars, they are easier to centre!! Hope that helps (and a good power supply!)

Guest metroman

When I first tried to set up the 130P, I had my co-ordinates set wrong. Once I had those correct, alighnment was okay each time I used the scope.

Martin

I remember when I had difficulties setting up my scope with Auto Tracking, I asked Kim (Brantuk) who was excellent, and gave me sound advice. :) I aligned the scope to North, using Polaris, set scope to 0 degrees, then the latitude..and hey presto! Ready for a good nights observing with tracking. :)

Archived