Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A quicky to end the night : M33 Galaxy

Catanonia

Seeing as everyone else is imaging this galaxy, I thought I would make it my secondary target after I couldn't image my primary.

Grabbed a few hours over the last two nights and a quick edit in PS.

Captured on SkyWatcher EvoStar Pro ED120 and EOS 350D Baader modded at 900mm F7.5

About 2.5 hours worth of 5min stacks at ISO 800

Any good ?

M33.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cat

Niceone Cat... useful image scale... :grin:

Cheers Pete, thought I would scale images down to 800 pixels to make viewing on the forum easier on the eye. Must remember not everyone has dual monitors and 1600 pixels.

Plus also I am getting older and find it hard to see small :) :)

Oh I think you can give yourself a pat on the back for this one.

It is a biggie, and f7.5 could give the guiding a headache even at 5 minute bites. It worked OK though. It's pretty good.

Ron.:grin:

Ok now I am confused, nicely confused that is after that praise....

Why is this target a challenge ? Please help me learn. I am being serious otherwise I will not learn.

Admittedly I found the processing quite difficult to get the colours out right, but imaging it was ok with the ED80 and QHY5 as guide.

Many thanks again for the praise, just wish I knew why :)

Edit : On a side note, this will be my secondary target for the next few sessions after my holiday, so hopefully might get 5 - 10 hours on it.

Ok now I am confused, nicely confused that is after that praise....

Why is this target a challenge ? Please help me learn. I am being serious otherwise I will not learn.

Admittedly I found the processing quite difficult to get the colours out right, but imaging it was ok with the ED80 and QHY5 as guide.

Many thanks again for the praise, just wish I knew why :)

Edit : On a side note, this will be my secondary target for the next few sessions after my holiday, so hopefully might get 5 - 10 hours on it.

I was simply alluding to the fact that imaging at long focal lengths means a larger image scale. With that, comes larger errors too, if the guiding is not up to par, it will be very obvious.

My comments are really based on old technology though, although I can't see why those criteria would not apply to modern ways too.

If I am wrong on this, then I am happy to be corrected.

Ron.:grin:

I was simply alluding to the fact that imaging at long focal lengths means a larger image scale. With that, comes larger errors too, if the guiding is not up to par, it will be very obvious.

My comments are really based on old technology though, although I can't see why those criteria would not apply to modern ways too.

If I am wrong on this, then I am happy to be corrected.

Ron.:)

ah, no problems Ron, was just a bit confused and like to learn. I am like a sponge and soak it all up at times :grin:

You comments are true for modern stuff I am sure, guiding has to be bang on at large FL. I reckon I could easily guide for 20+ mins with this setup, but the EOS350 chip would probably have a noisey death :)

Many thanks for the comments, and for helping me learn. Without SGL and comments like this, i would still be in the 'dark' ages :(

It is good Cat (what's your real name btw ? :) ) especially tricky and slow at f7.5 as Ron mentioned.

The data is probably better than your processing skills can cope with, which is probably true of all of us in many cases.

If I was to offer you one tip, go easy on your noise filtering, the result is a tad soft to my eyes.

Cheers

TJ

Good M33. It does need time. If you get lots more data you'll be able to do more sharpening, particuarly of the brightest parts. Do you cool your camera in any way? My regular DSLR expert is Frans Kroon (www.franskroon.nl) and he used to use physio soft ice packs around his, though he now has a fancy looking polysterene box with fan and cooler of some kind. I didn't notice this till he was leaving so will have to mail him for the details. Another guest had a version fitted with peltier cooler.

Olly

Have a quick look at this Cat...

Peter...

mmm, need to do some tests myself. Seem to be suffering from amp glow which can be seen in this M33 image (top left).

Need to check out the camera and test like you did.

Olly, no cooling on the dslr at the moment, just open to the atmoshere and 30 seconds between 5min shots.

Lay off the smoothing (gaussian blur?) and I think it'd be loads better, if you do an image search on Google, there's a lot of difference colour-wise on M33. Yours looks alright to me though.

Tony..

Archived