Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Viewing Sites ?

Hi

Im a newcomer (still waiting for my Binos to arrive), from my back garden I do get a view of the North Sky but its a little restricted. When I get a little more into the hobby the garden will be a little restrictive. I have search the forum and found mayny people talking of sites to view from etc. Is there a list on the forum of good sites to view from or is that an impractical thing to do ?

Oh im in whyteleafe, Surrey

Regards

John B

Hello John, welcome to SGL. I'm just down the road from you - between Lingfield and East Grinstead and I'm in the same boat as you, lots of trees in and around my garden.

AstroBaby lives nearby and she did a hunt for good dark sites that are also safe but didn't really come up with anything.

The car park on top of Tilburstow Hill just outside of Godstone has fantastic views to the south but with light pollution from Gatwick (think there may be a few horizontal dancers that use it too).

There must be somewhere on top of Box Hill but I've not explored there.

There is also something just off the Reigate exit off the M25 - take the immediate turn for Merstham and there is a car park there. Again I have not been to look.

If you find anything, I'd be interested.

Mike

try the National Trust car park at the back of Seaford Head. You get the occasional wally there but it is fairly well away from the casual nuisance. I had a lot of gear set up there several times and felt quite safe. I did take a cosh though.

Dennis

Ahhh well - I did come up with some potent5ial sites BUT - dah dah - I have some news. I am going to look at a site out in the country this weekend.

If its clear (sat photos suggest trees may be a problem) it would make a great site - whats more - assuming the site is ok the local Council will allow me to rent some of the space there. Keep your fingers crossed.

You could also join Worthing Astro Society who have a decent dark sky site but its a bit of a drive. Worth it though.

Hi John and welcome.

If i remember back to my days living around Croydon (a few years ago now), there was an observatory at Kenley, run by The Croydon Astro Society. - It could be worth checking that out as they used to have public evenings. - You should be able to meet other people in a similar position who may already have discovered several local dark sky sights.

Welcome to SGL John B.

When I was scouting for dark sky sites near Taunton I went out and spoke to some farmers. In some cases I'd speak to the farmers wife with my best manners and once she was on board the farmer would usually be fine. The advantages are that you are on private land, they know you are there (useful if the temperature goes very low/car refuses to start etc) and you get some nice horizons :)

Archived