Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eq6 mount

nitram100

Hi guys, could somebody kindly tell me what the differences/improvements were between the earlier eq6 and the newer ones?

I am buying one off a friend in a few days and just wanted to know if i was getting an older or newer version, any way i can tell?

thanks!

Martin

Hi Martin, in effect there are three marks of EQ6, or perhaps 3.5 versions.

Mk I - The old old black version. Distinguishable by the absence of an illuminated polar scope and reverse switches on the hand controller.

Mk II - Slightly revamped version, which is the version i had and Gaz has too. This has better gears plus the illuminated polar scope and handy reverse switches.

Mk IIa - as above but with Skyscan upgrade

Mk III - all of the above but with white paint job and now called EQ6 Skyscan Pro.

Hope that helps

Russ

Hi guys, just thought id run the price of this second hand eq6 by you, hes selling it to me for £340, thats with the 2 inch steel tripod and ra/dec drives. Is this is a pretty decent price for 2nd hand?

Thanks for further info!

Martin

Hi Martin, in effect there are three marks of EQ6, or perhaps 3.5 versions.

Mk I - The old old black version. Distinguishable by the absence of an illuminated polar scope and reverse switches on the hand controller.

Mk II - Slightly revamped version, which is the version i had and Gaz has too. This has better gears plus the illuminated polar scope and handy reverse switches.

Mk IIa - as above but with Skyscan upgrade

Mk III - all of the above but with white paint job and now called EQ6 Skyscan Pro.

Nice one Russ - I didn't know that :D

£340 is an excellent price as Gaz said. I adored my EQ6, both in standard form and with Skyscan. You'll have a huge range of scopes to choose from that can be mounted on the EQ6. Largest i stuck on top was a Meade LX200 10" OTA but i've seen reports that it will take the Meade 12" SCT OTA. Certainly the Celestron C11 OTA is a breeze for the EQ6.

I've now downsized and taken a retrograde step to the Meade LXD75 mount. It's a good mount but i miss the EQ6 Skyscan badly. The EQ6 was better engineered, has much better motors, gears. The Skyscan controller is far nicer than the Meade Autostar #497. But beggers can't be choosers and the LXD does the job.

Get the EQ6, you won't regret it.

Russ

Archived