Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter & Callisto in August....!

Kokatha man

Just a quick post as there’s lots happening here today…..but credit where it’s due with the processing tips another planetary imaging friend passed on to me the other day (Trevor Barry from Broken Hill, whom I communicate with frequently) resampling between (2) sets of deconvolution in AstraImage certainly seems to give a “cleaner” look and finish to the whole processing regimen – an added bonus for me is that the slightly “washed out” look that people aim for is engendered more in my images now (naturally enough, as this is more in line with the lower hue and saturation impression when you’re observing at the eyepiece.)

I've incorporated it into my own current methodolgies (plus a couple of minor extra "twists") and am very pleased with the results.....still hoping/waiting for a night or so of good seeing in this apparition to really "go for it!"

I’ve had a terrible time with my laptop which is still ongoing, and I am very much afraid some of the images I collected last Monday night have been degraded somewhat: I still can’t play any of them as avi’s (on it or my new machine) but managed to squeeze quite acceptable (to me!!!) images from a few (I can still load them into Registax despite not being able to play them – which is an inconvenience given my reference frame selection methods, the degradation notwithstanding…..)

With the 3 Monday ones I'm posting here you can see the "Bird Strike" of Anthony Wesley motor around towards the CM as Jupiter rotates.....

I'm also quite pleased to have picked up some surface detail/albedo markings on Callisto in the third of the images I’ve attached…..it's just above the info text for that particular image!

After all the things that have occurred (and gone wrong!) this week I reckon I’ve finally gotten some order into everything – and even sorted out some of the stuff-ups with some of my info text details - which I think were from the same cause as other problems I encountered: tiredness and a filing system all over the shop

Chuffed to receive an email from John Rogers of the BAA perhaps using one of my images in a BBC show with Patrick Moore coming up soon.....which was a great fillip when I was feeling really depressed yesty about the pc problems…..

Processing does involve a fair element of personal preference.....a balance between bringing out details and "cooking" it by getting too contrasty and the resultant over-exaggerating of colour-strengths etc.....the "softer" or "slightly washed-out" versions appearing "cleaner" in aome ways.....

I guess processing also has to involve a fair element of personal preference by virtue of its nature .....a balance between bringing out details etc and getting too contrasty and having more than enough colour strength etc.....the "softer" or "slightly washed out" or "cleaner" etc, versions appealing from their relativity to that which our eyes perceive at the ep.....for me the 2nd and 3rd get closest imho.....roughly equivalent to the seeing conditions also....!

Thanks for looking, Darryl.

post-16205-133877392923_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877392929_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877392934_thumb.jpg

Archived