Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics Zenithstar 66

FLO

Very sad to see the trusty 66 go.

I have an astro-tech(US) type and it's great, not only for quick look astro stuff, but for birding too.

I did wonder when they brought out the 72, how they could have two similar sizes on their lists.

Oh well,

Andy.

I've just acquired a ZS70 which according to WO's website is 'New' and according some dealers 'discontinued' (not listed on FLO's site, for instance). But never mind it's a cracking bit of kit. WO's strange sizing and shear number of similar sized scopes never seemed to make much sense to me. I'm sure they must have a reason, glass differences apart.

I've just acquired a ZS70 which according to WO's website is 'New' and according some dealers 'discontinued' (not listed on FLO's site, for instance).

The Zenithstar 70 will also be discontinued when stocks have been depleted so if you are in the market for one please contact us as we can currently still order them.

The Zenithstar 70 has (slightly) greater contrast than the Megrez 72 but with more false colour.

I would have thought the 66's are good sellers, why discontinue them !

Yes, other than a brief dip when the Megrez 72 was launched the Zenithstar 66 has always been popular.

HTH

Steve, does the Megrez 88 still exist? Seems to have vanished from FLO. There's a Megrez 90, but it appears to be somewhat different - longer focal length.

The M88 took a bit of a bashing for it's (lack of) colour correction, but is a decent visual 'scope.

Steve, does the Megrez 88 still exist? Seems to have vanished from FLO.

Yes but it's price has increased so we removed it from our site while we consider what FLO's price will be.

The M88 took a bit of a bashing for it's (lack of) colour correction, but is a decent visual 'scope.
Yes, a well corrected f5.6 doublet is a tall order but it is well made and great as a grab-and-go visual scope.
There's a Megrez 90, but it appears to be somewhat different - longer focal length.
The Megrez 90 is a fantastic scope, very nice indeed, but it has been proving difficult to source recently. I shall be gutted if they discontinue that one!
Steve, will William Optics still honour the warranties on the 66's even if they have been discontinued ?
Yes, they will.

I wouldn't worry, in three years we have never seen a faulty one.

Our last Zenithstar 66 has now sold :)

The Zenithstar 70 will also be discontinued when stocks have been depleted so if you are in the market for one please contact us as we can currently still order them.

The Zenithstar 70 has (slightly) greater contrast than the Megrez 72 but with more false colour.

Yes, other than a brief dip when the Megrez 72 was launched the Zenithstar 66 has always been popular.

HTH

That's a pity. The ZS70 is a nice little scope. Seems strange they have discontinued something the only introduced a year or two ago and still showing as 'new' on WO's website. Perhaps is wasn't selling in the numbers they hoped. With 66, 70 and 72 their range was a bit crowded. I hope WO's drive 'upmarket' is not going to cause prices to go stratospheric. That's the USP for WO as far as I'm concerned - great optics and mechanics at a reasonable price. Would be a shame to abandon that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived