NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I think I need a Refractor ?

Hi

I’m fairly new to the hobby and have read quite a bit, and with the naked eye can find my way around the sky, I now feel im ready for a scope but im still not sure which type of scope will do the job, as always I want everything ?, so I thought I would write down what id like and my budget and then maybe I can get some useful pointers

What do I want to see ?, Planets followed by Clusters \ Nebula etc

In the future I would like to attempt photography using my DSLR and possibly a CCD – so which ever scope I go for I need to bear this in mind ?

My scope budget is £800 – I can cope with extras for the scope down the line so it needs to be upgradeable (if that makes sense)

I look forward to reading thoughts ?

Regards

John B

London

Just to clarify, is the £800 budget is for mount + 'scope, or just the 'scope? i.e. you have a mount already, or will budget separately for that

If it's both and you want to go for imaging down the line, i'd sink as much as possible into the mount - that might seem odd, but it's cheaper long-term. A used 80ED can be found for £150, and it's a decent 'scope that covers everything pretty well from planetary viewing to deep-sky imaging. Then sink the £650 into a mount - that will pick up a HEQ5/pro with £150+ to spare or might get a EQ6/Pro.

In the future, get something like a William Optics ZS66 or Megrez 72 and the field flattener (probably £250-300 used), guide with the 80ED and a QHY5 or Meade DSI (£100ish used) and off you go.

If you want to start out visually then trying imaging later on you might find a 80mm a little on the small side. A 8" Newt on a HEQ5 is well within budget and will do very well visually, you could then get a small refractor like the ED80 and the GOTO upgrade later on when you want to give imaging a go.

I agree with Gaz, an 8" reflector on a HEQ5 would be a great start for visual and even some imaging (once you have the guiding sorted). It's a good combination of aperture for DSOs and you'll still get brilliant views of the planets on the moon.:)

Sam

I agree whole heartedly with Ben on this. I made the mistake of getting a lesser mount to begin with and then ended up buying an EQ6 for photography.

If you can stretch to an EQ6 then that will do you for years if not then don´t worry the HEQ5 is a great mount and lots of people are using that for photography.

The HEQ5 would be just as perfect for your current and future needs.

If you get the HEQ5 or EQ6 without the goto you can control them easily via the PC and planitarium software (if you have a laptop spare). I did this method to save 150 quid (you will need an interface cable, mine cost a total of 15 pounds to make).

Neil C

A 8" Newt on a HEQ5 is well within budget and will do very well visually

I think £800 might cover a HEQ5/pro, Explorer 200P (or similar) and a ST-80 used, which would give two complimentary OTAs for visual use now - swap them over depending on what you want to view - and the ST-80 doubles as a guidescope in the future. Still think an EQ6 is worth it if possible, although it does severely limit the OTA options - very future-proof mount though.

Wouldn't underestimate the humble 80ED for visual though, you can see a lot through it.

Spend that money on second hand kit. For a total outlay of £310 so far I've a 200p on an EQ6 (non synscan) mount. Another £300 will get that EQ6 upgraded nicely and I'd still have £190 of your budget left over for daiquiris...... if only I drank.

Your first priority is planets so aperture is not uppermost - I agree that a high-quality well-mounted refractor might be best for you.

An 8-inch dob is a great all-rounder, but putting it on an EQ mount is a lot more effort.

John, EVERYONE says they want a first scope to do: Planets+visual, DSO's and Imaging. Unless your budget is HIGH, it ain't going to happen.

So make a choice and realistically put 2 of the 3 options away.

Visual: An 80mm refractor will be fine for visual and planets: It will allow you to see some of the DSO's, and with a fair mount some imaging to build on later.

DSO's: Basically aperture, the more the merrier. Not overly relevant for imaging as you have to do the tracking. Will let you look at planets but some loss of sharpness.

Imaging: Good mount, HEQ5/EQ6, motor driven to enable tracking and a good scope (triplet).

If you want to start at the visual/planets option then a SW 80ED or WO72 would be fair, mated to an EQ3 mount with basic motors. You should have change out of the £800 for an eyepiece or two and other bits. Too light for a DSLR attached but a ccd should be OK.

For serious imaging a bigger mount would be required but that can be later and allows you to keep an eye on the used items.

Thanks for all the response, im closer I think. Ive decided to change my budget (i still want everything) so an EQ6 but someone said

EQ6 is worth it if possible, although it does severely limit the OTA options - very future-proof mount though.

Whats meant by limit the OTA ?

I assume i can buy an EQ6 with out the GOTO and add that later ?

So now I need a scope to fit the EQ6 - so my budget for the scope will be another £800

Looking forward to your thoughts

Regards

John B

Thanks for all the response, im closer I think. Ive decided to change my budget (i still want everything) so an EQ6 but someone said

EQ6 is worth it if possible, although it does severely limit the OTA options - very future-proof mount though.

I assume i can buy an EQ6 with out the GOTO and add that later ?

So now I need a scope to fit the EQ6 - so my budget for the scope will be another £800

Looking forward to your thoughts

Regards

John B

Dear god man, did you rob a bank? There is a C9.25 for sale for £800 in the for sale section http://stargazerslounge.com/sale/85279-priced-go-c9-25-ota.html if you are going to get an EQ6 and then spend another £800 on a scope I'd get either that or go for the 250p but the C9.25 will be easier to handle so you'll probably use it more often.

What I meant is that if the total budget is £800, then buying an EQ6 (Goto version) will consume most of the budget, so there would be limited funds for the telescope itself.

As it's £800 mount/£800 'scope then there are many options. Get the EQ6, which will keep you going for years. FLO (the forum sponsor) have the SkyWatcher 180 Mak-Cass on sale at £495 which is a cracking price, and that's a great lunar/planetary telescope if that's your priority. Otherwise my previous comments thoughts still apply really.

I dont think the HEQ5 would be too stable with a 300mm Newt on it. I'd say 250 was the max and even that would be pushing it.

I had an 8" f/4 Newt on my HEQ5 and would consider that to be pretty much the maximum i'd put on the mount, didn't look like it would have been happy with anything bigger

Can I clarify a little, I’ve decided on the EQ6 Mount (seems best for the long term), however as a newbie I’m need direction

I can get a

EQ6 Equatorial Mount and SynScan Pro GOTO Upgrade Kit for EQ5 & EQ6 – Prices seem to vary but im looking at around £1000 in total

OR

EQ6 PRO SynScan GOTO GEM Price around £1000

However as im not going straight into the imaging I’m planning just to get the EQ6 Equatorial Mount and then at some time in the future get the upgrade (is it a nightmare to fit)

Does this sound sensible ?, we can discuss scopes later

Regards

John B

Can I clarify a little, I’ve decided on the EQ6 Mount (seems best for the long term), however as a newbie I’m need direction

I can get a

EQ6 Equatorial Mount and SynScan Pro GOTO Upgrade Kit for EQ5 & EQ6 – Prices seem to vary but im looking at around £1000 in total

OR

EQ6 PRO SynScan GOTO GEM Price around £1000

However as im not going straight into the imaging I’m planning just to get the EQ6 Equatorial Mount and then at some time in the future get the upgrade (is it a nightmare to fit)

Does this sound sensible ?, we can discuss scopes later

Regards

John B

The EQ6 with goto is £889 new from FLO. There is one for £650 second hand on astrobuysell

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

And for some reason a 250p telescope AND EQ6 mount for a meagre £500. Please buy it before I get told off by my wife for spending £500 I don't have.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Before spending such a lot of money you ought to visit a dealer, club or other user so that you can see the kit in real life, try setting it up, and see what's involved. A 60mm refractor that can be put on the lawn in one minute will show Jupiter's cloud belts, the Cassini division of Saturn's rings and hundreds of DSOs (if the sky is dark enough). A set-up that costs 15 times as much will take a lot more than 15 minutes to put together. How you balance simplicity, cost, function and effort is a personal matter that can only be found through experience - it all depends what it is you really want to do with the scope. Nothing is perfect for everything and nothing is future-proof.

As always when it comes to spending other peoples money, we astronomers have plenty of advice....:)

I vote with the previous poster acey, get yourself to a star party or your local club. At least visit a dealer to look and see how physically big these mounts/scopes are.

There is no scope that will do evrything, even for a beginner, but there are scops that do many things.

I learnt my way around the skies with a simple pair of binoculars, something in the 8 or 10 x 50mm range. I got the book by Patrick Moore 'Astronomy with Binoculars' and had hours of exploration...:)

With a budget of 1600 pounds you want to make sure you get the right gear, so club/star party or dealer is a must in my humble opinion.

Regards, Neil.

Don't even get a tripod - binos are awkward to use that way for astronomy. Any half-decent 10x50s will serve the purpose, and will also serve for day-time nature-watching. Binos with larger aperture and higher magnification are good for astronomy but heavier to use, and not to everyone's taste. x10 offers wide angle (making it easier to find things) and enough magnification to make many deep-sky objects interesting.

I have several scopes and astro-binos, but the first pair of 10x50s I ever bought still get used - I was bird-watching with them the other day. They gave me my first views of many Messier objects and remain my most portable instrument.

Any recommendations on Binoculars ?

Again great advice from acey.

Don't bother with a tripod just use a wall or lean against the side of the house for stability (it works for me)!!

Try not to be swayed by the magnification, a nice power is x10 or at most x12 with a lens of 50mm that will give you enough aperture to see a good few of the messier objects and some details on the bigger planets.

For a good quality pair of bins in that range pay no more than about 100 pounds.

Quite a few here for every palette:

Binoculars | Rother Valley Optics

Hope this helps.

Regards, Neil.

Archived