Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8SE First light

Gadget

Hi all

Well it all arrived very quickly and safely from FLO (great service)

Now I have had a chance to set up and use I thought I would give my quick beginners view as it may assist anyone else thinking about this scope

Delivery guy arrives wow its a big box much bigger than I thought it would be

Anyway took it up to my room and started the unpacking process first thing that gets my attention is just how well packed it all is very impressed

Once all the bits are out I start to put it all together couldn't believe how simple and easy this was a idiot could do it in 15/20mins (and he did)

Last thing to put on was the red dot finder to be honest I was expecting bad things from this as I have read so many bad things about quality and alignment to the OTA but once I got it aligned with the OTA I found it very good, accurate and more than adequate for its intended purpose

Now was all set I needed to get my location set ready for the evening viewing session this was very easy and I took loads of time on this as I have read most of the initial star alignment problems are due to user input mistakes once I was confident that it was all set up as should be I put it all outside and hoped I would get some clear skies once it was dark

At last its dark and the stars are out (no curse for me) it was a little hazy though but could see enough stars to start the alignment process I used sky align and after the 3rd star I pressed enter and waited and could not believe it when the magic words 'match confirmed' appeared I really was expecting a failure the first few attempts and was well pleased to get it first time so first thing I ask for is Jupiter so it started moving and settled pointing at Jupiter looking in the 25mm eyepiece there it was I was quite amazed, once focused it looked very good now and again I could just make out 2 bands and could see 3 moons I spent quite a bit of time on this at various mags but could get no more detail but as I said the sky was a little hazy but still I was very pleased

After I had finished with Jupiter I thought I would have a go with the tour option this is where it gets a bit frustrating for me everything I seemed to pick was either behind my house or blocked by my garage or big tree but did manage to see a couple of fuzzy ball patches and smudges so was happy

Any way the scope was pointed up I decided to do a collimation test on a bright star with a 10mm and barlow and was expecting to see a lovely perfect concentric donut circles like you see on the collimation web sites when all is rosy but mine was like the picture of what it shouldn't like I was absolutely horrified and wished I hadn't looked at it now this was definitely a road I didn't want to go down so soon after getting my scope more so because I haven't got my bobs yet so went in for a cuppa and calmed down

Right im back out side with my screwdrivers cos I know it has to be sorted so I very carefully remove the cover and start to make alterations very carefully have a look in the eyepiece its worse now! now I wish I had never touched it after calming down again I keep making changes until I end up with the perfect circles you see when its set right I was more pleased with myself than when the alignment worked first time!

Now I wondered if Jupiter may look any different now that's done so I get it back in the eyepiece and could not believe the difference now it was pin sharp with bands visible all the time with good colour changes from belt to belt I was very happy by now the moon was starting to become visible it was already 2am and it meant moving everything down the garden but I had to have a look and the moon showed me just how hazy it was just with the naked eye it had a big haze halo round it but in the eyepiece looked absolutely fantastic even tiny craters are pin sharp

So all in all a very very good first light with my 8SE cant wait for a really clear non hazy night the views will be so much better

So if this scope is on your shortlist you wont go wrong even though this is a serious bit of kit it certainly has the beginner in mind

Kev

Awesome review mate, hope you enjoy your new kit. I've seen one of these scopes at a star party and they are really nice.

It's amazing what difference good collimation makes. My 10" newt was out of collimation for the first 3 years of owning it and i wasn't even aware because i was a bit of a noob and always wondered why i couldn't see the cassini division in Saturn, then when i joined SGL i learned about collimation, ordered a chesire collimation tool, collimated scope and the cassini division just popped out at me along with bands, ring shadow etc

I love my 8se.

I'm lucky in that I had perfect star-doughnuts at the start (I think I might have cried if I hadn't!:)).

I put the whole thing together myself, without recourse to phoning my dad/stepdad/favourite-ex to help me. I was quite proud. :)

(Astrobaby would probably wet herself laughing at that!)

I could really tell the difference between my 8se and 4se. The views in the big one bring tears to my eyes.

I still use the little scope when I go out away from home though - I find the 8se quite tricky to carry and set up, because I am short (and frankly, a bit of a wuss!:rolleyes:). I keep it permanently set up in the dining room, ready to dash outside.

I'm glad you like your 8se and hope it makes you happy!:evil6:

Archived