NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

32 or 26mm Plossl

Hi help please! im getting some skywatcher EP from FLO, and was thinking of getting the 32mm and 26mm Plossl is it worth getting both or just one (was thinking of getting both becuase of the low price offer)

the 32mm will give me 39x mag

the 26mm will give me 48x mag

Steve

Well I must say, until I started collecting 2" EPs my 32mm plossl (A Meade Series 4000 was my fav EP). The 32mm has now gone over to my scope in France (as that only has a 1.25" focuser). The only other thing I would say is don't bother with a 1.25" 40mm as 32mm maxes out the FOV of a 1.25". Mine gave the same FOV as the 32mm but was just more like looking down a tunnel at a smaller image.

I have actually bought a 26mm now to fill the gap between my 20mm & 32mm but haven't tested it yet as my scope here is in pieces and I haven't been to France since I bought (so I obviously think there's a big enough gap to fill)

I guess you are somewhere round B'ham from your forum name (Edit: obvious from your profile once I looked). Do you belong to an Astro Society they're a good place to try out each other's gear? I'm a member of Walsall Astro Society and if you brought your scope along I could bring my 26mm (not SW) for you to at least try the focal length (realise B'ham is, of course, a big area and if you are South of the City it's a trek).

I have a 32mm Celestron in my collection, It is the eyepiece I always reach for first for nice low power views.

I am also in Walsall so if want to try it along side the 26mm that haitch has got I'm sure something could be arranged. (I keep saying I'm going to go along and say hello to the Walsall Astro Society one of these days).

I might even have a 25mm Plossl going spare as well, not sure of the make though.

Cheers

Ron

Steve

I doubt if you will see much difference between the Celestron 25mm EP that you have and the 26mm Plossl. The 32mm will give an AFOV of 80' whereas the 26mm will give an AFOV of 65'.

I would buy just the 32mm Plossl - you could upgrade to a 2" diagonal but you would balancing problems on the Nexstar 5.

I think Steve/James are going to Salisbury next week and they usually carry a good supply of EPs. Why not wait and try a number of EPs before spending your bonus.

Mark

Mark

Archived