Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

and quite literally a washout too!

As I mentioned in another thread, my sister and I had the sun loungers out last night to try and catch a glimpse of a Perseid meteor.

No such luck. The Moon was the fattest and brightest I have ever seen it and the glare from it climbing up the horizon as the evening went on washed out the stars and any meteors that may have been zooming over with ease. It was a disappointment!

But we did have a lovely time spotting constellations - Cassiopeia was perfectly placed over our house and UMa and Hercules looked wonderful.

What a shame. I hope I can see some around the peak....

and quite literally a washout too!

As I mentioned in another thread, my sister and I had the sun loungers out last night to try and catch a glimpse of a Perseid meteor.

No such luck. The Moon was the fattest and brightest I have ever seen it and the glare from it climbing up the horizon as the evening went on washed out the stars and any meteors that may have been zooming over with ease. It was a disappointment!

But we did have a lovely time spotting constellations - Cassiopeia was perfectly placed over our house and UMa and Hercules looked wonderful.

What a shame. I hope I can see some around the peak....

Lesson learned then.Full moon=ziltch meteors.

At least you got out in the fresh air under the stars, it was quite nice down here last night i sat there watching Bats in the end.

Mick.:)

We did too Mick! Counted about 10 all in all (they fly so fast it's hard to get a definitive number). One of my favourite things to do whilst out with the scope, they are so entertaining :)

Sky seemed exceptionally bright last night only main constellation stars were naked eye visible...

Peter...

I could barely make out the keystone Peter, even Jupiter seemed a little washed out! :p

Sky seemed exceptionally bright last night only main constellation stars were naked eye visible...

Peter...

Tell me about it :) I ended up playing with PAM ( PolarAlignMax ....not a women) and getting my head round plate solving. Got my alignment down to a couple of arcseconds so I spent the rest of the night inputting and synchronizing EQmod to improve my pointing accuracy.

I've been popping out at regular intervals, but as we are suffering from the remnant low of typhoon Goni at present, the sky has been too cloudy to see anything, even the moon was totally obscured last night. Hoping things will be clearer tonight!

(GMT+8 hrs, here btw)

Archived