NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First purchase imminent!

Hi All

I'm looking to finally part with some of her majesties finest sterling in exchange for a telescope!

I've set myself a maximum budget of £200, and after much internet searching/reading have whittled it down to two options

1) Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

or

2) Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130PM

probably will get a moon filter too as i have a large interest/obsession with the moon!

Are these all the same? or are there different moon filters?

I'm finding it hard to choose between the two, whether to go for the Dob's larger aperture or the Explorers motorised mount??

I intend to take a lot of pictures with a DSLR so which would suit photography best?

If i need to take long exposure pics would the Explorer be more suitable, and would i need a 'T' mount to connect the camera?

It does say the Dob has a direct camera connection, but aren't they both 1.25" eyepieces? (or am i missing something here?)

Also, how smooth are these equatorial mounts, motorised and non motorised?

I'm asking a lot of these questions 'out loud' as i probably know the answers to most, but all advice is greatly appreciated.

So to briefly re-cap, im looking for a good first scope that i can also use for astrophotography at a max budget of £200 and will have to buy new as it'll be going on my credit card!

Thanks in advance

Carl

Second what Mick has already said, though there may be problems bringing a DSLR to focus with that focusser as is, others may be able to advise better.

Steve..

ah, can anyone confirm this or suggest a solution?

is the standard focuser not that good then, they're not cheap good focusers are they?:)

hi,

if you want to do any imaging, even of the moon, then I would suggest a tracking mount. The one with the EQ mount that you mention, might be ok for short exposures, the mount looks a little small for longer exposures with a DSLR, which will add another 500g'ish.

If it's simplicity you are after, then the Supertrak that 'Red Dwalf' is selling could be a good option too, stacked exposures of about 30s each should be possible. And it'll help learn the sky more than a GOTO would.

If you can stump up £260, then there's the 130 AZ GOTO, which will help loads in finding stuff.

I don't know whether a DSLR will focus on that scope, the usual problem is that you can't wind the focuser in far enough, so I can't comment on that.

The fast focal ratio of f/5 will help with bright images and the 650mm focal length will give a very nice FOV with a DSLR.

hope that helps.

I'm sure I've read somewhere but I cannot find it that a dslr will not reach focus on the 130p.

You have a few options though:

You can replace the focuser with a low profile unit or move the mirror up the tube by a few millimeters.

Carl, I think you are pushing it a bit to do imaging and purchase a scope + mount for a Max £200 buget. Please dont take this the wrongway or put you of Astronomy. There is only one thing that eats cash faster than the Wife, kids or Partner and thats ASTRONOMY :)

I would go for your 1st option of buying the biggest Dob you can find for your £200, The reason I say this is to do imaging you will need A GOOD SOLID TRACKING MOUNT, HEQ5 minimum or go the Astro Track route. Both options are expensive. So IMHO spend a few months scanning the sky with a dob, save your pennies and then decide with the help of the Forum the best and cheapest way forward to imaging

if you just want to start webcam imaging then the 130p will track nicely and you will be able to get good images of the plants and Moon for fairly low cost, i`m only selling this scope to move on up the imaging ladder so to speak but still using the webcam as you can get some very good results.

if you just want to start webcam imaging then the 130p will track nicely and you will be able to get good images of the plants and Moon for fairly low cost, i`m only selling this scope to move on up the imaging ladder so to speak but still using the webcam as you can get some very good results.

Hi Red Dwarf

I did see your scope for sale but as i've just moved house i dont have any cash free at the moment, hence having to buy new with the credit card. If it was still available at the end of the month?

webcam imaging? havn't looked into that, what prices would i be looking at for a useful one that would fit your scope or the 130PM?

thanks for all your posts, just as helpful as i remembered!:)

Hi Carl,for webcamimaging you need a webcam of course about £40-£60 second hand with an eyepice adapter (philips webcams available in the for sale section with adapter, have a look) also need a uv/ir filter and a computer, computer does not need to be bang upto date one windows xp works well with the kit, also some software which is free from the websites. can become very addictive !

Hi again

all these answers have got me thinking more now, so that means more questions!

First off, philips dont appear to make the SPC900NC webcams anymore, and finding one is like hunting for rocking horse ****!

Is there another option that is equally as good or have Philips brought out a replacement?

and would an Explorer 150P/PL reach focus with a DSLR?

I could stretch to a 150P/PL if it was worth the extra outlay. The mount looks much better than the 130 although it isn't motorised. I assume i can upgrade later by attaching a motor drive for the 150 mount? and would the lack of motor drive mean long exposure pics being very difficult?

OR! shall i just stick with choosing the 130PM, stick with webimaging and keep hunting for a SPC900NC?!?!

You are correct Phillips don't make them anymore but they do come up from time to time. There's not alot of alternatives as well especially in the price range.

Remember though the Phillips is really only good for moon and planets. If you want DSO's then a dslr or a dedicated CCD camera is in order.

I think that the Skywatcher 150 comes with a camera adapter if i remeber rightly, but if your budget is around £200 you might not be able to get the cameras needed for the task as even second hand long exposure webcams cost twice as much as normal ones ( £80-£100 ) and not many people let the go for sale and proper long exposure cams start at around the £200 mark although they do come up for sale second hand sometimes.

I would get the best scope you can and enjoy the night sky with it then as funds allow increse your equipment then.

initially i will just be buying the telescope, but i want one that i can add onto (eg camera, eyepieces, filters etc)at later stages hence wanting one that will be able to do this rather than having to buy another telescope 6-12 months later.

From what i've read/been told it looks like the philips webcam is the cheapest and best option for me, but my wife is very interested in buying a DSLR in the near future so i want to keep that option in mind too.(also my dad has a film SLR worth over £600 that he doesn't use so i clould 'aquire' that )

I was now wondering if stretching my budget to £230 so i could purchase a 150P/PL would suit my needs better than the 130PM?

Well, the 150 would be a step up from the 130 due to the increased light gathering capabilites. You really want as big an aperture as you can afford to collect all those little photons of light!

If, as others say, you can't focus with a 130, but can with an 150 AND, you're in no rush to get all the equipment in one go, then I'd say go for the 150.

There is only one thing that eats cash faster than the Wife, kids or Partner and thats ASTRONOMY :)

Hmm not sure I agree. Triathlon, Mountain Bikes, Hi-Fi and my sportscar all eat cash (or they would if i let them !) Fact is, Astronomy is a low cost hobby for me

Good recommendations on the 150 - if you can stretch to it

Archived