NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Green lasers

Horrible, nasty things, should never darken anybodies door, let alone sky - and besides, they are probably dangerous.

Right, that's got that out of the way. Those of you that gave the 5mW green lasers then - I know they are susceptible to temperature, but can anyone say which bit is the affected bit... is it the laser module itself or the batteries?

Arthur

I've wondered that myself - and even thought of how I might heat one up when at the scope ? Dew heater ? Resistor mounted somewhere on the laser ? I haven't got a Laser and as they are contraptions of the devil, could never be tempted, but for the casual - "look up there...can you see XYZ constellation ?" - I think they would be hard to beat

I've heard that the laser itself needs to warm up and I have to say that with a fresh set of batteries, that has been my experience, much brighter light after a while.

Disclaimer:-

Naturally this wasn't actually my own green laser it, err, belonged to my son (technically) as he paid for it with his own money. It is purely coincidence that the time he bought it was around the time of my birthday. I certainly would never consider using one myself and certainly not his 5mW version unless I was showing a newbie the night sky ......

Better quality green lasers have an output regulator that the keeps the laser at a constant brightness as the battery drains and also compensates for cold temperatures.

Of course you're not likely to find this in the cheaper £25.00 to £30.00 5mw green lasers typically sold by astro shops.

John

Try 2500ma batteries or higher, lower capacity one's drain easy , not that , err , I have one ...... err., um , it's my daughters'....yes ...thats what it is .... I did tell her they were bad and err , um ( rats ) confiscated it , purely in the name of Dads Toys .

John is correct - the batteries will operate better when warm, but the laser chip will operate more efficiently, ie consume less current for a given output power the colder it is (just to be flippin' awkward!). There will also be a variation in the laser wavelength with temperature and drive current. Since this laser is used as a pump for a NdYAg crystal, variation in both power and wavelength will affect the efficiency of the pumping, which will (are you all still with me?) affect the final output power after it is frequency doubled up to 532nm. :)

OK. So. Remove the batteries and put them somewhere warm, but put the business end away from that somewhere warm, and all will be well with the world then... this is what you are saying, right ? glasses-slip.gif

Given my proposed scenario then, the laser module will be about 5 inches away from the power pack (not original batteries, need various voltages for other bits) which itself will be near some warm pinkies. The laser module(s)* will be fitted into a metal holder which also will help take any heat away. Added to that, the area that the laser sits in will have an optional 40mm fan circulating air, so all in all it looks like I should be OK?

Arthur

* Yes, there's that red 1mW one nearby as well...

Archived