Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nice Session - Just Finished

Mikea

Well, that was a great evening! Started off with Jupiter - got it all nicely centred and focused and then dragged Mrs A away from her comfy sofa so that she could see - "oo it's all in a straight line" she said, so I knew her first view of Jupiter and 4 moons was complete! Mrs A then went back inside due to feeling cold.

Mr A (me) then told Mr GOTO to find Mizar. OK, I know I could do it manually, but I wanted to see how well the alignment was, as sometimes it doesn't seem so good. I think my uneven lawn and inaccurate levelling of tripod legs is the root cause. As it happened, it was pretty good - Mizar, Alcor and the star inbetween them (I don't think it has a name :)) all centre field. Put the 9mm EP in - and thought there was a problem - Mizar focus not quite right - hmmm, how come - 2 Mizars? I didn't realise Mizar was a double in its own right! Stared at this for a while as it was new to me.

Next stop - used the identify feature on the handset to identify a star I didn't know. It was Mirphak. I suppose I should have known that, but Perseus is not a constellation I have studied much. I checked Stellarium for something interesting to view nearby and so I punched in NGC884 to the handset and waited for the scope to reposition. Still with the 9mm EP, I wasn't sure I was in the right place, so swapped to the 25mm for a wider field. Crikey!! Look at all those stars - incredible. Again, this was a first time viewing of this Double Cluster (with NGC869), so I spent several minutes in awe of the sight. I'm sure if the people of Torquay all turned their street lights out, it would have been even more impressive :).

As a final target, I punched in M31. In my light polluted garden it was asking a lot, I know. There was definitely something there, faint, but not as spectacular as the earlier clusters, so I can claim that I saw it, but I can't say the view was spectacular. Anyway, happy, but cold, called it a night just after 1:00 :rolleyes:

Hi Mick, scope is a Skywatcher 130P AZ GOTO. EPs I used were the 25mm that comes with the scope and the 9mm is a Skywatcher LER EP from a set (eBay bargain!). I will definitely look at the Double Cluster again!

Mike

I think your 16" Dob will make a better attempt at M31 than my 5" Newt!! I'll have look when the sky's a bit darker.

BTW, I discovered what that third star is inbetween Mizar and Alcor: - it's called Sidus Ludoviciana (Ludwig's Star) and was discovered in 1722 by a chap called J.G. Liebknecht. He believed it to be a planet, but he was ridiculed by fellow astronomers when they realised it was another star. What a rotten lot they were!

Archived