NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy Sketch

Doc

I forgot to ask - what materials did you use Mick? The galaxy's disk looks so soft - is it pencil, chalk, pastel?

The original was HB pencil for the galaxy. When I took a photo off it and opened it in PS it didn't look right so I sort of smudged it a bit.

Looks more like what I saw.

When I get paid I'm going to get some pastals and charcoal and try a different technique.

The 16" of aperture really adds depth to what you are viewing.

I'm gonna try this malarky meself...makes a refreshing change from life drawing. I always loved working in graphite pencil during my art degree.

Mick, watch the charcoal...lovely medium, but watch it doesn't get on your EPs!! :)

What a great sketch! I have had a look at M31 though somebody elses 16" lightbridge at a very dark site. I have a sketch in my book but it totaly fails to convey what it really looked like! Thanks for posting.

Cheers guys.

Sam I would say I saw a few dust lanes, very dim and but there were definite dark patches amongst the general haze. M31 last night was very bright, the core was pretty intense and the shape very distinctive.

Archived