Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another observing session! yippie!

Sam

The third night in a row! after six weeks of rubbish conditions this is brilliant. The atmosphere had a lot of moisture though which made things tricky and the dew built up was very fast. I maged NGC 6888 with the imaging setup and used the 16" Lightbridge for browsing some old favourites and looking foor some new targets.

The first cab off the rank was to try and see NGC 6888, which I was imaging. No joy with this one - not even a hint, this was not surprising as it sits mostly in the range of the red that is not easily visible to the human eye but it comes oout fine on photographs though. I then went looking for the galaxy NGC 7013, also in Cygnus (same constellation as where the Crescent Nebula is). This was quite tricky to find at first - but once found it was quite obvious. It a small object in the eyepiece but reasonably bright.

I then went back to have a look at the comet C/2006 W3 Christensen that I saw last night. It had moved quite a bit from the previous evening but was still easy to find. The comet head looked quite big with the tail spreading out over a wide area. I spent ages looking for a few other objects but ended up fighting a loosing battle with the dew. A great night though - and the third one in a row!

Sam

Three nights in a row? WOW!

Which telescopes do you use? I like your choice of "off the beaten path" objects for the past three sessions, I'm going to list them for the next session, providing my humble 8" Dob is up to it. :)

It was clear here until....1am last night as the Met office indicated, but the mojo wasn't present because of a stereo of parties going on either side of the village. A private do one side and a young farmer's shindig the other. Blaring DJs, people shouting in the lane....I felt rather conspicuous....:D

Hi Sam,

My telescope that I use for observing is a 16" Lightbridge. I can see most stuff down to Mag 12 as long as it's got plenty of surface brightness (and the conditions are ok). It's awesome for Globs and faint galaxies and for the brighter galaxies it really brings out the detail - like the spiral arms in M51 etc.:)

Sam

Three in a row, you've got to be in heaven, Sam!! :) Hey, i hope number four is around the corner. :D

You're under a bit of light pollution? Just wondering, because i was out last Sunday sketching the Crescent (Oct issue), and the nebula was definitely do-able with the 120 achro and O-III.

Three in a row, you've got to be in heaven, Sam!! :) Hey, i hope number four is around the corner. :p

You're under a bit of light pollution? Just wondering, because i was out last Sunday sketching the Crescent (Oct issue), and the nebula was definitely do-able with the 120 achro and O-III.

Carol,

I don't have much light pollution but I also don't have a O-III filter. As I was looking at the star field where the crecsent should be there were some subtle changes in the background contrast which kind of had the expected shape of the Crecsent but I couldn't tell for sure.:D

Sam

Whoops, sorry Sam, thought you had one. I read observing reports in about 6 groups every day, must be someone else in here that has the O-III.. maybe Mick? Anyway, if you detected a slight contrast change in the area, i'm betting you saw the Crescent. :)

I have not seen 7013..its not even on my to do list must be a sbr of less than 13?

Is the comet easy to see in your 16 inch I might give it a go..do you have the RA and DEC?

Mark

21hr 04' 56.39" 29deg 26' 24.6" according to CdC

Archived