Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Crescent on a bed of stars

Sam

This is from last night, the third night in a row!!!! This is also my first attempt at one of the red nebulae. I picked this one because it's quite high in the sky and a good size for DSLR.

I know the nebula is meant to be the focus of this shot but the number of stars is quite staggering and I especially like how the cluster of brighter ones stands out in the foreground, kind of giving the shot more depth.

The nebula could have done with some more subs and probably longer exposure. The shot is made up of 25 X 240sec subs with flats, offsets and darks all applied. Taken with Canon 1000D at ISO 1600 (modded by me) though an 8" reflector on a EQ6 Syntrek (finally had no problems with EQMOD last night!). Guided with a QHY5 through a ST80.

Sam

post-14099-133877387834_thumb.jpg

Hello Sam lovely image, picked up a lot of detail with the 1000D, how easy was the mod, and what filter did you do the mod with ?

The mod is real easy. I didn't replace the filter, I just took it out. I have a 400D for normal photography so I had no intention of using the 1000D for that, so the autofocus loss was no problem for me.:)

Sam

Nicely Captured LB :)

That's a good pic taken with your Modded 1000D, Im wondering how would it look like taken in a WO66SD, I'll have a bash at that on the next clear night with my modded 450D.

It might look a bit like this Taken with a Modded 1000D (Baader ACF) on a Megrez 72 and FFIII

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/psychobilly-albums-psychobillys-astro-images-picture2224-wf-ngc6888-san-8b.jpg

Now where have I seen that before....

I have 2 modded cameras the 350D has just had the filter removed... there is oen other downside as well as losing autofocus you also loose the ability to achieve infinity focus with some camera lenses including the nifty 50 at reasonable apertures.. you can stop down to use the DOF to try and get focus but that defeats the object... Focusing isn't an issue on a scope though or with lenses that have a bit of focus travel beyond the infinity position...

Peter...

Lovely picture Sam. Those foreground bright stars look like Sentinels guarding the Nebula:)

Ron.

Thanks Ron, It's amazing just how many stars are in that field. I'm always interested in how these things are made and this one is quite interesting as it's from a star nearing the end of it's life (it's about 5000 light years away) and it shedding it's outer layers. According to the Nasa website the star at it's centre is loosing one solar mass every 10,000 years! mind boggling really.:)

Sam

Archived