Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this right?!

citizen_x

Hi all,

Just joined because i wanted to check the validity of something i've seen posted on another forum.

I am not spamming my own work here. I'm in the UK but this is from an astronomer in Australia.

He has a clear photo taken today of what appears to be the aftermath of an impact on Jupiter.

Is anyone able to confirm or refute this claim?

Link: Impact mark on Jupiter, 19th July 2009

If this is accurate its a pretty impressive observation!

Welcome to SGL.

Jupiter is one of the most observed space objects ever so have you seen any other observation reports about this.

Something like this would not have gone unoticed.

Space is full of asteroids and space rocks and these do collide frequently hence shoemacker etc. I agree that a transit is out of the question as it seems in the wrong position for this.

Check for other reports.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm keeping an eye out at present, its a very recent image and given how quickly this will spread/be checked it'd be a pretty pointless (and fairly elaborate) hoax.

The difference with this (if true) and SL9 is that we'd spotted that one before it happened.

Reminds us how vulnerable we are...

Well, Pete Lawrence Images Jupiter very regularly, so maybe his C14 will reveal something too.

I've just remembered that 2001 A Space Odyssey was on TV today.

Just a coincidence of course.

Ron.

It looks pretty convincing to me, I don't think it would be a hoax as something like this would be able to be verified, just have to wait and see if there's independent verification.

I just got this on the S&T email alerts

The image at right, taken by Anthony Wesley, a well-known Australian astrophotographer and planetary observer, shows a new dark marking on Jupiter strikingly similar to the ones left when Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashed into the giant planet in 1994. The dark mark, which appeared suddenly between July 17th and 19th, has been confirmed by many other observers at different locations. (Click here if you can't see the image on your browser.)

There is compelling evidence, such as the mark's high infrared brightness in reflected sunlight, that it was indeed caused by the impact of an asteroid or comet. Leigh Fletcher twitters from the InfraRed Telescope Facility in Hawaii: "This has all the hallmarks of SL-9 in 1994 (15 years to the day!). High altitude particulates, looks nothing like weather phenom." Keep up with all his tweets.

The spot is located near Jupiter's System II longitude 210°. For the predicted times when it will cross the planet's central meridian, add 2 hours and 6 minutes to each of our predicted transit times for Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

If it's really the black debris from an impact star, it will probably become spread out horizontally by jet streams in the coming days.

Normally Sky & Telescope would be all over a news story of this magnitude — especially one where amateur astronomers have a good chance of supplying scientifically important follow-up observations. But with much of our staff overseas for the July 22nd total solar eclipse, we direct you to SpaceWeather.com, where the always diligent and capable Dr. Tony Phillips is covering this breaking story.

Archived