Celestron ?

I am not as familiar with Celestron telescopes as I am Meade.

Several look to be from the Synta stable, which I guess is to be expected as Synta own Celestron.

But, generally, which models have the best reputations?

Thanks

Celestron tend to excel at SCT's as these are the only OTA's they make iirc. The rest of their scopes are synta i think so are equal to the sw/orion although they tend to change tubes and colours (a-la the C80ED being a smaller tube than the ED80). They also excel at their software on goto mounts. The CG range is equivilent to the EQ range give or take a version number. The fork mounts on the SCT's is Celestrons own though.

I'm sure others with more knowledge will add more

Nice one steve... happens to me all the time mate :D.

I think its been covered by Gordon's excellent answer to be honest.. the SCT range is cracking, what with their carbon fiber tubes etc. Nice gear!!.

Rob

Hi

I had a Meade ETX125EC for two years, got fed up with the goto which was way out despite training etc. Now have a Celestron 8i SD, super scope, as light as the Meade. Spot on with the goto, easy to set up etc. Say no more.

Robin

I have a real Celestron SCT the C8 Orangetube that got all revamped and flocked courtesy of Tom Yates I must say its a delight to use it have a televue 2" diletric focuser on it and its now like a member of the family love it to bits :D

Hi

I had a Meade ETX125EC for two years, got fed up with the goto which was way out despite training etc. Now have a Celestron 8i SD, super scope, as light as the Meade. Spot on with the goto, easy to set up etc. Say no more.

Robin

To be fair, you would need to compare the 8i with the equivalent Meade ... like the LX or LX200 :D

Archived