Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Io shadow transit

Athena

I have just observed my very first shadow transit :)

The transparency was dreadful with lots of broken cloud but despite this I was able to clearly see the dark shadow of Io as it crossed Jupiter’s disk. I looked very hard but was unable to see the actual moon. Is it possible to actually see the moon during transit using a 8" F10 SCT?

Unfortunately Jupiter kept disappearing behind cloud so my observation was limited. I attempted to image the transit but by the time I got my camera setup and focused a rather large cloud bank refused to move. :)

Oh well, next time...

Congratulations, well done! :) The first time i ever saw a shadow transit on Jupiter (newbie, 1998, 90mm ETX Mak) i thought it was the GRS... seems a lifetime ago, lol. But even now with my 'big girl' :) scope (also an 8" f/10 SCT) i've never been able to detect one of Jupiter's moons as it's transiting. Have to admit though, i'm really not much of a planetary observer. Hope you see one some day!! :headbang:

Archived