Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Did you see Neptune last night.

Doc

Anyone see Neptune last night.

It was only about 1 degree from Jupiter and next to Mu Capricorn and dead easy to spot.

Appeared as just a blue star. Very nice indeed.

Haven't spotted Neptune yet but did spot Uranus last year. Here's where it gets confusing though. A mate with a Nexstar 8i used his goto to find it. He seemed thrilled with the view. I looked through his scope and all I saw was a star like point with a ring halo coming off it. It looked like a diamond on a ring band??? Something told me his scope was not collimated or something, but I had always thought he was more experienced than me. Maybe thats what it does look like I thought??

I eventually found it in my 12" Dob and what I saw was a clearly defined albeit small disc. Showed the lads and they marvelled at the green tint......which I could not see. It looked white to me!!

Seems like the SCT guys are just afraid to put enough mag on things. Thermal issues in those scopes must mean that their scope seeing tops out before atmospheric seeing. I am regularily able to use my 5mm at 300x + without seeing ruining the view.

Now Neptune is only just over 1 arc second smaller than Uranus at the moment. ie. Uranus is 3.6" and Neptune is 2.3". If it still looked like a star to you, I would think you either didn't put enough mag on it or you weren't pointing at Neptune! :)

Erm....

I used my 9mm ortho at x200 mag, and you could see a blue colour to it but it did look like a star still, no disc was apparent.

It must have been Neptune as according to CduC the only other bright objects within a degree of Jupiter was Mu Capricorn so in theory very easy to spot.

But as you say at 2.3" in size a disc should be viewable. Don't know maybe 200 mag was not enough to bring out the disc.

Yes I had a look at Neptune last night and indeed a pale blue star (albeit bloated due to it's small 2" disc) was how I would have described it (220x, 350x). Seeing wasn't steady due to low altitude.

Andy

Archived