Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on solar observing with my old 60mm tasco

Hi all, while searching the other day through the loft I came across my old 60mm tasco refractor scope from my childhood. I was thinking of uses for this, and one I came up with was as a solar observing scope, as it is smaller and easier to setup quick.

My questions are:

1) will this size scope be OK for solar observing??

2) being that the end is small, would I be better buying some baader solar film from FLO and make my own filter or try and find a filter to fit the scope??

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi.

Rather than use a Baader, or Mylar front end filter, why don't you use the refractor to project the suns image onto a white card.

You could make a frame to attach to your scope, or place an easel with a white card on it, and place it near the end of the focuser.

The further away from the focuser, the larger the image. Use a medium power EP, about 18-20mm, and focus the suns disc onto the card. If there are any sunspot, you will see them OK.

Another thing to do. is Place a large piece of card with a hole, large enough to fit over the dewshield of the frac. This will throw a dark shadow, and make it easier to see the solar disc.

Another safety point. If the scope has a finder attached, make sure the lens is covered, or better still, take the finder off altogether.

Good luck.

Ron.:)

A 60mm will show sufficient detail on the Sun. Just waiting until the new cycle kicks in to see more sunspots.

I'd go for the DIY Baader Solar Film solution. The eyepiece projection will work ( use old eyepieces; they can get pretty hot and may be damaged) but a bit fiddly and if you want to eventually use, say a webcam, to image the aperture filter is much easier.

Hope this helps.

I'd go for the solar film. If you project with a refractor, you can get heating inside the tube. Generally reflectors are open and better for projection.

Think about putting a fllter on the finder as well

Cheers

Danny

Using a refracor as a projector, won't you set whatever card you are projecting onto on fire?

Hi Anthony,

If the card was at the focus of the objective lens then yes, but because your eyepiece lies beyond the focus then that won't happen - but the eyepiece will get quite hot and if it has cemented elements then it will get damaged.

It might be an idea to see if you can source a 20mm Huygenian lens as these have air spaced elements and won't melt.

The advice to cap or cover up your finder is good - don't do as I did and burn through your cross-hairs when trying to use it to find the Sun (in projection). :)

Lorna.

Archived