Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding cam/setup

LaVey

I have the OpticStar PL130m mate and currently having all sorts of issues with it finding fainter stars than constellation stars through a Skywatcher ED80.

Currently trying to work it out, there is a thread on this page from me about it.

I have had both the DSI IC and DSI IIC - Currently John is using my "Spare" DSI Ic and I am using the DSI IIC which I fitted a TEC cooler to (dont bother running it though) both make VG guidecams.... the Mono pros are supposed to be better still...

I almost bought one of the opticstar ones as a spare bought another Opticstar camera instead and ended up takign it back... softweare was pretty dire and sensitivity for what was supposed to be a planetary cam was pants ok for the moon and that was it........ Ended up swapping it for a DMK21AU04.AS havent used ti for guiding yet had it running with PHD and plan to leave it fitted to the 8" as and Electonic EP for alignment......Usign the bullseyes in PHD...

Why are people talking about QHY5s and DSIs when they aren't under discussion?? Why are people recommending these cameras ahead of the MX516.

I believe the MX516 uses the same chip as the SXV dedicated guide camera which is an excellent camera. It has a respectable field of view, good sensitivity and low noise. I think it would be more than a match for a QHY5 or a DSI. Since I haven't used an MX516 you would have to double check but the SXV autoguider always performed very well for me.

The 516 is an imaging camera rather than a guide camera, does anyone know the download times for a frame? I see it has the USB interface but it's not native, It would be better used with the STAR interface as an imager in it's own right.

Arthur

Thanx for the advice guys, all input and suggestions appreciated!

Arthur.. does this small size of 516 mean it would be difficult to use as a guider and is more suited as an imager?

Have found the QHY5 at QHY5 Guider & Imaging CameraGuider Cameras | Rother Valley Optics in budget and also read the post here http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/82289-qhy5-dsi-mk-1-a.html - but a DSI mk1 could be hard to come by... so looks like a sensible choice.

Cheers

Chris

Archived