Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

VNC help and other networking questions

Sorry about the dumb questions but my IT expertise is at the potty training stage.

I'm hoping to remotely operate a laptop in the obsy from the house. VNC has been recommended by SGL members, TightVNC in particular. I've set my obsy laptop as a server and my house laptop as a viewer. This brings up the screen of the obsy laptop but I can't do anything with it. There is no remote "control", just viewing. I can move the cursor around on the VNC viewer but nothing happens on the server. I think the firewalls are configured ok. Can anyone help with this?

Also I'm planning on getting a wireless router purely to run the obsy. Any recommendations on the most suitable type? The obsy is about 20m from the house to the kitchen and the signal will have to go through a couple of walls, more still if I want to link in my desktop upstairs.

I agree with Steve. Ethernet over power. Superb stuff. I'm using it now in fact. Wireless sounds good but is to easily interferred with, to the point that when the lights were turned on, my wireless connection died. I'm running a pair of Lappies via a 5 port hub to one of them, and the other is connected to my broadband router. As to the VNC question, the only thing I can think is that there are two passwords, a view only and an operator (although I've not used TightVNC, only UltraVNC) and you're using the view password.

As to the VNC question, the only thing I can think is that there are two passwords, a view only and an operator (although I've not used TightVNC, only UltraVNC) and you're using the view password.

BINGO (I think)... from Introduction to TightVNC

"Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only. The server allows or disallows remote keyboard and mouse events depending on which password was used for authentication."

Thnks for the quick responses. Could you tell me more about ethernet over power. The obsy will be connected to the mains through an existing connection to the garage. How does it connect up?

The server is XP the viewing laptop is Vista although I also have the same problem viewing with an XP desktop.

I've double checked and the server is ok for remote access.

I've configured the firewalls but to double check I turned off all the firewalls and antivirus with the same result. I'm thinking of uninstalling and trying again.

you plug in units into the mains sockets, and it modulates ethernet connections over the mains infrastructure between the two units (or as many other units as you want). It really is that simple... literally plug and play.

Martin, use remote desktop already built into the operating systems. I do this when working from home. I have my works laptop remoted onto the works desktop in Bristol. Vpn'ed connection over the internet for security though. But remote desktop is the easiest way once the machine being controlled has remote connections/assistance enabled. Put a shortcut on your desktop on the xp machine pointing to C:\Windows\system32\mstsc.exe

Excellent on the VNC stuff..

The EoP system is supposed to be run across the ring main and not bridge the fusebox... supposed to be max of 8 per ring... there's info athttp://www.homeplugs.co.uk/. I'm running mine across the fuse box on a spur... but no no, but it's working fine and plenty of bandwidth. They come in at least three flavours... based on max speeds

1) 14Mbps

2) 80 Mbps

3) 210 Mpbs

I think they are about correct. I'm using the middle one and getting about 40 to 50Mpbs out of the connection, which considering I'm using this across my ADSL line is more than enough. The top one is really designed for Video streaming, as far as I'm aware, where you are using high quality high bit rate data at real time.

The adapters are available from about £20 and up... I have a friend with a bunch of the £20 adapters running 3 PC's to the ADSL connection and they are all working fine, went for these instead of wireless due to the house layout.

Martin - the internet over power is EASY!!!

Plug one unit into a wall socket near your internet router, plug in a normal network cable between the two.

Plug the 2nd unit into the obsy. Plug in the network cable from PC to the unit.

Done!

Martin, use remote desktop already built into the operating systems. I do this when working from home. I have my works laptop remoted onto the works desktop in Bristol. Vpn'ed connection over the internet for security though. But remote desktop is the easiest way once the machine being controlled has remote connections/assistance enabled. Put a shortcut on your desktop on the xp machine pointing to C:\Windows\system32\mstsc.exe

Does it work better than VNC Keith? Seems to be working well.

I have had 4 normal units running at the same time (plus one Wifi AP extender Homeplug unit), and they all worked just fine. I can actually plug one in next door (same phase), and it connects :) (hence why they all come with options to enable encryption between your own units)

Does it work better than VNC Keith? Seems to be working well.

Hi Martin, having used both, I connect from windows xp to unix and linux boxes using vnc and remote desktop windows to windows, I thought it might be easier for you as its already designed for those operating systems (windows). I tend to find I have less problems with remote desktop windows to windows. But the odd little gliche with vnc, especially running vncserver. Each to his own though, if you have it up and running carry on as you are, knowing you've already got it working okay you could always try remote desktop and compare for yourself.

Regards

Keithp

Archived