Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation & Helios Quantum 3 20x80 binoculars

I am thinking about getting new 20x80 binoculars and two options are the Revelation and the Helios Quantum 3. The Helios is considerably more expensive than the Revelation, but is also waterproof, nitrogen filled and supplied in an aluminium storage case. Both binoculars are using BAK-4 prisms, the Revelation is fully multi coated and the Helios fully broadband multi-coated. The Helios is a little heavier and will probably be more difficult to hand hold than the Revelation. Is anyone using these binoculars and can comment about their performance? Will the Helios be a better binocular optically than the Revelation?

With astro equipment you generally get what you pay for so, yes, I think the Helios binoculars are likely to perform a little better than the Revelation ones athough I understand that the latter ones are quite respectable for what they cost.

Having tried a couple of pairs of 20x80's recently I felt that a tripod was really essential - I found both the pairs I tried (which were quite lightweight ones) were too heavy to hand hold for anything other than the shortest glimpses.

John

Hi Starscy,

i have the helios 25x100 and they are very good,

they are also very heavy so you will need a tripod,

if they come with the sliding tripod connector they just screw to a metal adaptor that comes with the tripod.

regards ron.s.g

Hi Starscy,

Why not 'phone Steve at First Light Optics? You will get an honest assessment of all the different binoc's you are considering. Steve will even suggest you go to another vendor if he thinks the best buy for you is something he doesn't stock.

Incidentally, I have a pair of Helios 11x80s. They are heavy, but if held close to the objective lenses, they can be hand held for some time without excessive tiredness or "shake". I guess the 20x80s would be equally heavy, but higher magnification will mean any hand movement / shake becomes noticable more quickly.

Have you considered 15 x 70s? Several good ones on the market and I find them a good compromise re aperture, magnification & weight.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Tom

Archived